NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Style Polar Finder

Stub Mandrel

When I ordered a slightly used Skywatcher polar finder from FLO that turned out to be the wrong one for my EQ3 mount, they generously exchanged it for a new one.

The new one came with a bit of paper explaining it was new kind of reticle that is intended to be used with the computer programs and apps that make it easier to know where Polaris should be. I haven't seen it mentioned on here before so here's a quick review.

The reticle has three concentric circles with subdivison tick-marks, these allow for the fact that over the next thirty years or so Polaris will be getting nearer to the pole. Straight away this means it will be more accurate than a single circle you line polaris up with.

The circles are marked off as a 24-hour clock with half-hour subdivisions. You level the mount and point it roughly at Polaris and turn it so the reticule appears upright (the human brain is very good at getting things straight!)

Armed with a printout from Polarfinder, you just adjust to get polaris at the right point on the dial, at the radius indicated for the current year by the rings and subdivisions.

That's it, it is very easy and quick.

Previously I have been sighting using a clear circle of acrylic with a ring engraved on it. This poor man's polarscope was fine for visual alignment but was hit and miss for photography, up to 30 seconds and sometimes 1-minute subs.

Immediately I have been getting much better results with my unguided setup, and have so far got up to 2-minute subs, my feeling is that I can go longer even with the EQ3, but getting the scopes balance (or unbalance) just right is going to be critical.

I've only seen this new finder reticle mentioned once before here.  I got the impression at the time that it wasn't a particularly new development, but my NEQ6 isn't that old and it doesn't have one of the new ones.

James

• 1 month later...

I've just taken delivery of a new HEQ5 which came with the new style finder and the one-page inset. Unfortunately, it's been overcast ever since, so I haven't yet had a chance to try it out....

Sounds like the one that they use on the Star Adventurer mount?

If i had to use a Polar Scope the SA one is very easy, getting higher up on the tripod does make a huge difference though....for normal mounts i would just use the software built into the syscan handset....

Archived