NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Super Blood Moon

Joe_Dinsdale

Hi all,

So i hear that on September 27th 2015, not far way now. That there will be a Super Moon during a Total Lunar Eclipse. This sounds really cool but i have some questions about observing it.

I live in the UK, near Huddersfield. What time will the Moon rise, what time will this rare event take place, and for how long?

Thanks for the help. I did try to google for this but all i get are times for the USA or info about the ones from the past.

The eclipse is on the 28th. The Moon rises at 18:02 on the 27th. The first contact with the Earths penumbras shadow is at 00:11 on the 28th. You will notice very little difference at this point. First contact with the numbral shadow is at 01:07. From this point you will see the shadow pass over the Moon's surface until it is completely in the shadow. Hopefully the moon will then be a shade of red. It does not disappear because of sun light refracted on to its surface by the earths atmosphere. The total phase will last until 04:27 and the eclipse will be over by 05:23.

Please note that all these times are UT. For local time add 1hour.

Let's hope for clear skies.

Archived