Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick binocular session

Walshie79

Skies cleared tonight after days of cloud, not been out stargazing for a while so took the bins out for a look around...

First up M2 and M15, which were due south. Both very conspicuous, though different. M15 is small and dense, M2 larger and a "classic" glob like M13, M5 etc. It's difficult to tell which is brighter as M15 is so much more condensed.

Then back over into the Summer Triangle. It's curious how many summer constellations stay there right through autumn, while the winter ones are gone quickly- M42 is easy in March, difficult in April, impossible in May. But little M71 in Sagitta was still high up past midnight, and showing well as was the Milky Way from there right through Deneb to Cassiopeia. M56 was easier than it sometimes is, and M27 is always worth a look- you can only see a nebulous patch in binoculars, but it's a planetary nebula and there aren't many of them you can see in them. Albireo- always have to check that one- then over to the north. M103, M52 (like M56 can be a bit elusive, but not tonight), M81 and M82, Double Cluster and M34 which is one that resolves well in binoculars. Finally another object I'm surprised Messier missed-NGC 1528 in the northern part of Perseus. It's very obvious in binoculars as a glow that starts to resolve in the outer portions, far easier than many of his clusters- it's the kind of object he usually listed.

Just been out for a quick look again and Orion is coming up, not long now till all the winter ones come back! And those summer ones are still there...

First up M2 and M15, which were due south. Both very conspicuous, though different. M15 is small and dense, M2 larger and a "classic" glob like M13, M5 etc. It's difficult to tell which is brighter as M15 is so much more condensed.

Curiously, I see them the other way round. I think according to the numbers M15 is  supposed to be just marginally bigger and brighter, but if I were guessing based on how I see them I would have said a good 50% bigger and maybe half a magnitude brighter. I suppose that may be down to their relative altitudes, and the local light pollution interfering more with my view of M2 than with the much higher M15. Either way, I love them both - M15 is a particular favourite.

Lovely little report - I shall definitely have a look out for NGC 1528 next session.

M15 does indeed look a bit stellar, you have to look twice to see its a fuzzy ball. Another one is M92 v M13; sometimes M92 actually looks brighter in the binoculars, but it's even more star-like than M15. However it can't be brighter because I have seen M13 naked eye, but never M92. The prize for the most stellar looking Messiers in binoculars (aside from M40!) must go to M32 -just looks like a star on the edge of M31- and M57, which seems like a faint star at the end of a line of them.

M15 does indeed look a bit stellar, you have to look twice to see its a fuzzy ball. Another one is M92 v M13; sometimes M92 actually looks brighter in the binoculars, but it's even more star-like than M15. However it can't be brighter because I have seen M13 naked eye, but never M92. The prize for the most stellar looking Messiers in binoculars (aside from M40!) must go to M32 -just looks like a star on the edge of M31- and M57, which seems like a faint star at the end of a line of them.

Can I ask which binoculars were you using please?

Archived