Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium 13.3 MESA 32bit?

Alienfox

I have been having problems with stellarium ver 12.1 with stellarium scope, it worked once then stopped, checked the configurations all ok, it just would not work, so uninstalled all the software and tried again, same thing worked once them would not slew anywhere.

So plan B, uninstall all the software again but install the 13.3 32bit version, this time I get a message saying Open GL not available use MESA.

Uninstall the software, install the new 13.3 Mesa and great works first time, I switch off the synscan, close stellarium, switch on the synscan go through the motions, load up stellarium and it has all the same settings from the last time but just will not slew?  So I am not wondering why 2 different version are ok the first time it runs then just stops?  Anyone else had this problem.

Just to see if restarting the computer made a difference and it dose not. :huh:

Den

From the amount of people who have had problems using Stellarium for running a scope, it is generally known that Stellarium has been problematic - since the start - for telescope-control. Most people I've heard from use CdC to run their scopes, and Stellarium for most everything else.

You could post your situation on the Stellarium site for bugs & fixes:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium

And the Questions & Answers section:

https://answers.launchpad.net/stellarium

Read through them to see if your situation has already been addressed.

Good luck,

Dave

StellariumScope uses three ports to bridge between Stellarium and the mount driver (Slew: 10001, Sync: 10002, Abort: 10003).  I had a problem once where some other software was trying to use one of the same port numbers, which resulted in erratic behaviour (sometimes it would work, othertimes not).  Might be worth checking that - maybe try changing the default port numbers in StellariumScope, update the Stellarium configuration and see whether that works.

I've always used CdC to control my mounts and there hasn't been any issues. I played about with Stellarium yesterday and connected to my Mesu with Stellariumscope. I noticed that GOTOs were not as accurate. The mount seemed to stop short of the target a number of times- not pattern as to the part of the sky. if I moved flipped to CdC (both programs were open and connected at the same time0 and issued the same slew, the mount moved perfectly to the target. Back into Stellarium, and it would stop short.

IMHO, I wish that the developers would implement a native ASCOM driver into Stellarium. it's one of the nicest looking planetarium programs out there.

I've always used CdC to control my mounts and there hasn't been any issues. I played about with Stellarium yesterday and connected to my Mesu with Stellariumscope. I noticed that GOTOs were not as accurate. The mount seemed to stop short of the target a number of times- not pattern as to the part of the sky. if I moved flipped to CdC (both programs were open and connected at the same time0 and issued the same slew, the mount moved perfectly to the target. Back into Stellarium, and it would stop short.

IMHO, I wish that the developers would implement a native ASCOM driver into Stellarium. it's one of the nicest looking planetarium programs out there.

Check whether you are using J2000 or JNOW in the mount driver and StellariumScope. Different settings between the two will introduce pointing errors, which may explain why CdC is OK and StellariumScope is not.

Unlikely that ASCOM will be added since Stellarium is cross platform and ASCOM is Windows only, hence StellariumScope was created to bridge the gap.

OK, so after pulling what was left of my hair out, I decided to do a google search for help, the stellarium forum/blog had no real answers, I then came across this website http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/tutorial-imaging-setting-up-equatorial.html and bingo, connected no problem, however 1 problem still remains, I still have to go through the same proceedure each time to get the scope to connect, but I suppose it's better than not connecting at all.

I did CdC, just couldn't get my head around it, (Stellarium seems so much easier), maybe its because it's my busiest time of year with work so may revisit it at some point.

Thanks again guys for your help.

Den

• 8 months later...

Archived