NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginners tripod/mount

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the mount section, but thought might be a bit of a silly beginner-type ask so posting here.

Whiles still contemplating a first scope, and refrained from making a rash first purchase, I popped along to the local society on Thursday. It became clear that my first scope may not be my last scope - indeed there may be mNy chNges or additions.

That aside, the question of mounts/tripods came up. Not something I'd really considered as I suppose the scope is all I'm thinking about. (Shame on me). The Mak127 kit I was thinking of (ticked boxes, small scope, easy to use, came with GOTO, tripod and even eye pieces) now has me thinking again.

At this stage I have little intention of imaging. Apparently a good number have said similar in the past! The flimsy Alt-Az mount with the 127 might not last or even have sufficient stability. I saw one that evening in use and it looked even less capable than my existing tripods for photogtpraphy. As a result we were discussing EQ mounts. I say discussing as it was beyond be and my knowledge but I listened a lot. Suffice to say this may well be a route I take. I looked at both EQ5 and EQ6 pro systems - very nice - and have also read of EQ3. The cost varies quite a bit, but it's not a price issue here, I'm wondering whether to look at the EQ3 although I like the look of the EQ5 - not the HEQ 5 as not planning on heavy duty scopes. The 6 I couldn't justify yet as this is a hobby I may not be one obsessed with.

How did others choose their first EQ get up? Did people upgrade from Alt Az, or take advice and begin with a higher grade mount? The theory being the mount will remain as scopes may come and go.

Apologies for the long post but I felt a bit of background essential. At least now I'm looking and learning rather than buying.

Steve

My first 'proper' EQ mount was also an EQ3-2. I did much as what you are doing now- I read loads of reviews etc. I didn't know about SGL back then so you have the advantage of millions (probably) of hours of experience to ask whatever questions you need to know. I went along to a local astro dealer - Tring Astronomy Centre (very good people there) to have a look at the items I wanted. Then at some point you just have to buy something.

You learn, then decide if you need more/upgrades, or in my case less (didn't need goto or tracking as I decided on purely visual and manual observing - alt az isn't downgrading from eq!).

Then you go through the same process again with your upgrades, only with more experience and more specific questions (and usually higher cost).

Then you go through the same process...................!!!!!!!

By the way, the EQ3-2 is a good mount, but if you do get 'into' this hobby it will probably (ie. almost certainly) get upgraded, or a more heavier duty mount will be bought in addition to.

The theory being the mount will remain as scopes may come and go.

IF that is thye theory then you should look at an equitorial, reason is simple they do visual and imaging, Alt/Az is sort of limited to visual, lets ignore planetary imaging.

Which equitorial?

The HEQ5 is likely the best one ultimately - unless you get really serious it will do 90-95% of all the imaging it sounds you may do.

Problem is that it is not a lightweight grab and go item. So you may end up not grabbing it at all and never using it to go observing with.

I bought one, decided "forget it" and went and bought an EQ5 - it is less scary.

Go look at one carefully.

Presently I am tempted by the iOptron ZEQ25.

The scope is the next:

Visual generally means big reflector, imaging means small fast scope (refractor or reflector).

If you are thinking of dropping a 200P on a mount to image and view then look at the HEQ5.

You can get a 200P on an EQ5 then get a small 70mm ED refractor for imaging. Still think the 200P is a bit too big for the EQ5, but people have that setup and people are happy.

My EQ5 will have the Megrez-90 on it. The Megrez is good for imaging and OK for most visual usage I have. But I have never been driven by wanting the biggest aperture available. There is a good post over on CN asking: If aperture rules why do so many people have refractors?

In Oct (early) is the IAS at Stoneleigh (Coventry) guess it is a bit of a trip but there will be a large assorment of mounts on display, and scopes.

I think you're choice of mount comes down to what you actually want to spend the most time observing.

When I bought my first scope (heritage 130p)I had no idea what I wanted from it initially but I soon realised that I preferred observing the moons planets to DSOs. this meant o really needed an equatorial mount with slow mo controls to allow better tracking at high powers. . I've got no real interest in imaging so a relatively lightweight EQ mount suits me fine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can read all the specs and reviews you can get your hands on but until you get out there and start observing and get a feel for what you really want from the hobby you won't really know what kit is going to be the best for you

Eq I don't see as an upgrade from altaz.

Altaz for me gives an easy and fast mount to setup for what I enjoy doing.

If I wanted to stop rotation be it for visual or imaging then that would force the hand. But it would have to be absolutely necessary as the additional weight and setup would not be appreciated.

i've got to agree with Ronin here, if possible check out the IAS in October.  Another thing is to read through the various sub fora on what people do with their interests, not only the imaging or the observing but the spectroscopy, meteor watching etc.  See if anything grabs your attention there as that may effect your choice of set up.

michael

Thanks all.mmproblem is as yet I am happy to look merely at planets and stars. The rest I hope will develop with hobby. Apologies if offending anyone with the term hobby as I accept to a lot of people it's a whole lot more.

I looked last (star party) at the EQ mounts. EQ5, HEQ5 and EQ6. All good I'm sure but the lighter duty EQ5 seemed to be my favourite.

I don't plan to do imaging so can people guide me as to my rule of thumb that an EQ mount can do both viewing and imaging better than an Alt Az which can do both but possibly not as well. Aside from the tracking, there may be stability issues?

I accept lots of advice and opinions and accept some may be a little biased.

Aside any cost issue (cost isn't part of the equation by the way) I still see little wrong with my buying small and seeing how it goes approach. If I have more than one setup then so be it. Fortunately for me it's not a one-shot only. - see my other post for same choice with scope lol

Steve

i've got to agree with Ronin here, if possible check out the IAS in October.  Another thing is to read through the various sub fora on what people do with their interests, not only the imaging or the observing but the spectroscopy, meteor watching etc.  See if anything grabs your attention there as that may effect your choice of set up.

michael

apologies, forgot to ask yourself or Ronan, what is IAS? - presumably a big meet of some kind?

Steve

You might like this review of the telescope you first mention to see if it fits the bill.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/60917-skywatcher-skymax-127-auto-supatrak/?fromsearch=1

There is also a thread called the none eq challenge and there are posts on there of what people have managed to image and plenty threads with planet images.

You might like this review of the telescope you first mention to see if it fits the bill.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/60917-skywatcher-skymax-127-auto-supatrak/?fromsearch=1

There is also a thread called the none eq challenge and there are posts on there of what people have managed to image and plenty threads with planet images.

Thanks. I'd seen that review when I fist checked the review section. It's a few years old now.

Steve, Ronin was writing about this;

http://www.ukastroshow.com/

michael

at least that's how I read it :)

Thanks Michael - appreciate the link.

Archived