Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2/5 (maybe 3/5)

Demonperformer

Just before packing up last night, Uranus was getting into the region of the sky I can see. Unfortunately, this was about 10o directly above a streetlight, so please make allowances. I know I should have waited an hour before trying this, so that it got clear of the streetlight, but I was getting a little cold & tired, and I thought something would be better than nothing.

This is a combination of 15s, 20s & 30s subs, totalling just over 5.5 min. Processing has been a beast - there is a horrible glaring halo around the planet that is tending to drown out the moons, but this is the best I have been able to manage. One image shows the result "as is" the other is the same shot labelled.

Oberon is clear, as is Titania, although the latter is not completely separated from the glare. I'm not convinced by Umbriel. There is a "bump" in the glare at precisely the right place, but that bump seems to be brighter than either of the other moons, but at 15.0 it should be considerably fainter than both (13.9 & 14.1). I have included a screen print from CdC at the time the imaging was done showing the arrangement of the moons, so I will leave it up to you to decide what you think. My opinion is that it might be Umbriel, but at best it is questionable. I'm certainly not prepared to go into bat under a "this is a photo of Umbriel" slogan.

All in all: first attempt, atrocious LP conditions, not the best set-up (more of that on another thread), but reasonably happy, and definitely encouraged to pursue this further.

Thanks for looking.

post-4846-0-77296300-1441961694.jpg

post-4846-0-95141300-1441961700.jpg

post-4846-0-77504500-1441961706.jpg

I think it's fantastic that it's possible to capture so much detail when you consider that Uranus something like three billion kilometres away and light from the Sun has to travel twice that distance to reach us.

James

Archived