All Sky Camera images

I don't know if this is the right forum to post these but they are definitely "widefield" very widefield - the widest in fact :D

Location is The Blackdown Hills in East Devon - North is up.

Sunset - the best I've ever seen I think.

post-13131-0-38196000-1441717023_thumb.p

Daytime clouds.

post-13131-0-52450800-1441717110_thumb.p

Early hours on the night/morning of the Aurora Borealis (pink glow in the north) also showing the Milky Way.

post-13131-0-00761400-1441717139_thumb.p

Night sky without Auroral "light pollution" :D

post-13131-0-70863200-1441719673_thumb.j

Very nice. And oh to have such a wide open horizon in all directions!

Looking at the summer triangle, it's nice to see how Altair sits in the midst of the milky way, but I never see that from home; i can sometimes make out the milky way near Deneb, but seldom anywhere lower in the sky.

How dis you prevent dew forming with these? I saw someone give a talk about them, and he's mounted the camera on a spare telescope weight, dropped the lead through the hole and stuck a clear plastic dome on top, and must have done something to keep dew at bay. The counter weight made sure it never shifted, even during windy episodes. Another project to put on the ever expanding list...

Thanks for the lovely images.

James

Thank you James :)  Not a view down to the horizon in all directions though - there are trees and buildings to the north and west.  But I have to agree that the view here is pretty darn good :D  I have a thread in the DIY Astronomy forum - Gina's DIY All Sky Camera - Mark3 - with QHY5L-II-C - which I think will answer most of your questions about the build but if you have any queastions, please ask :)

Archived