Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need advice on what case to get for an EQ5 mount head

acharris77

Hi all, I need some suggestions on ideas for a carry case to protect my EQ5 mount. I have looked around and found that 365 Astronomy does a Skywatcher case for £85. I don't mind paying this as the mount does need protection as it is not cheap, but I was thinking of this aluminium flight cases that Maplins or CPC does and wondered if these were ok.

Also I don't think the flight cases come with foam do they, you got to buy it separately. If anyone has suggestions I would be greatful. Thanks in advance.

Hi Anthony,

I was thinking of using the original box packing foam and putting that into an empty maplin type flight case.  I haven't done it yet as I'm veering away from thinking of EQ5 as portable now I've discovered how heavy they are!  But I've also bought from Maplins flight cases that come with cut foam that you pull out in chunks to the shape that you want - I have got some photo gear in maplin cases like this.  I also use them for heavy-ish audio gear. My guess is they'd be strong enough, though I've not really done star parties yet and don't know how they'd be with serious lugging about - I'm sure others with more experience of lugging mounts about would have better advice!

Hey all, just thought that I would share on my thread what case I got after for my EQ5 mount head. I went to my local Clas Ohlson on the weekend and found the following:

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Instrument%20Case/Pr314142000

Of course I had to buy the largest case on that which was £59.99, but I can confirm that it is a lovely case and takes the EQ5 mount head ok. Unsure if the HEQ5 or an EQ6 would fit, but EQ5 fits great. The foam is all pre-cut as well in square chunks, so it was easy to create the shape. It can be stored flat or upright and the head don't move.

Just thought I would post a solution in case anyone is looking for a case.

Archived