Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is the mount for an Orion finderscope compatible with Celestron?

I'm in the market for a new finderscope for my Celestron Nexstar 127slt.  I hate having to crouch down or kneel in order to use the stock finderscope.  I'm looking at this laser pointer from Orion:

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Finder-Scopes/Orion-SkyLine-Deluxe-Green-Laser-Pointer-amp-Telescope-Bracket/pc/-1/c/3/sc/49/p/24780.uts

I can't seem to find anything on their website regarding the compatibility of their mounts.  The dovetail looks like it would be compatible, but obviously it's impossible to tell from the pictures.  I have found some reviews of other Orion finderscopes that are compatible with my telescope, but nothing for this finderscope.  I'm assuming Orion uses the same type of mount for all of their telescopes, but I'd like to be sure before I order.  

Thanks, 

Kevin

The dovetail shoe is the Vixen type, used by most manufactures as the standard fitting for a lot of telescope accessories, such as finder scopes brackets and the like. If in doubt, just email to confirm before ordering :)

I own an Orion 9x50 right angled correct image finder. It's foot looks just the same as the one on the finder you are interested in and I use it in a Skywatcher finder shoe. Many Orion scopes and accessories are made by the same manufacturer that makes Skywatcher and Celestron stuff.

Orion scopes are generally Synta/Skywatcher/Celestron scopes with slight additions and differences, and Orion on the side of course.

It would therefore be a little surprising if the fitting was not the same.

I have at times wondered if Synta own Orion or not, the overlap is just somewhat large.

Thanks for the responses...  I agree that it seems like they will be compatible, but I have read some references to other Orion finderscopes that were no compatible with Celestron telescopes.  I've found several references to the same GLP finderscope not fitting a Celestron 6SE.  

I emailed them, but still haven't head back.  I also called waited on hold before being put into a voicemail account.  

The GLP "finderscope" (not really a finderscope, but I'm not sure what else to call it) fits!  The mount was a perfect match for my telescope.  Also, the GLP is soooooo much easier to use than the stock finderscope.  I really hated using the stock finderscope.  Especially being 6' 4" tall.  Trying to align anything near zenith was damn near impossible.  I'd have to kneel and then crank my neck in all sorts of weird positions.  Now, I can stand comfortably behind the telescope, fully upright, and just use the green line to point to scope exactly where I want to go.  No more finderscope.  I was even able to use my 9mm eyepiece to find stars and planets, using only the GLP as a finderscope.  

Overall, I love it.  I bought some lithium ion energizer batteries, so hopefully I don't encounter any cold weather problems.  Also, the switch mechanism is a complete and utter failure.  The GLP has a momentary switch, that has to be held down.  Orion's work-around is to use a plastic ring that wraps around the GLP, over the switch.  The ring is fixed to the GLP using three small set screws.  A fourth, larger screw is used to push the switch down.  You then have to unscrew the large screw in order to turn it off.  I couldn't even get the damn ring on the GLP.  The set screws were loose and wobbly in their holes.  

In the end, I gave up and just used a nylon tie.  I wrapped it around the GLP, over the switch.  Since the nylon tie creates a teardrop shape when it's closed all the way down, you can just align the point of the teardrop over the switch for off, and then rotate it either left or right, to turn it on and hold it on.  It's much quicker and easier than what Orion provides.  

Overall, I'm very happy with it.  I thought about trying to buy just the mount, and a cheaper GLP off of eBay or Amazon.  I've read a lot of positive reviews of the Orion GLP and a lot of negative reviews about the cheaper models.  In the end, I'm glad I went with the Orion GLP.  It's SUPER bright and the beam is easily visible even before sundown, and in my heavily light-polluted area.  

Anyway, if you're looking for a new finderscope, I highly recommend the GLP from Orion.  

Kevin

It's a standard fitting. Most finder-brackets fit what Orion is pretending to be proprietary. Note the Celestron's finder & bracket:

post-38438-0-43703500-1439948939.jpeg

Now look at the Orion bracket. It should fit fine. The only problem that some may encounter is the fitting being slightly loose. This usually is due to poor machining. It can be easily cured by way of applying some tape, or a shim of rubber. This rarely happens - but is no cause for a coronary.

Keep Away From Aircraft!

Dave

I recently found that the BST Skyguider guide scope from Agena and elsewhere has this style and appears the same, but won't fit a Synta bracket. Very similar, but the scope side is a tiny bit wide. Only 2 screws and correct one supplied, so easy. There is as yet no standard for this type of mounting.

Do you mean this one:

http://agenaastro.com/agena-deluxe-50mm-finder-mini-guide-scope-helical-focuser.html

?  If so, their ad/description is a bit off. I actually just ordered a new finder from Agena here. I hope there's no surprise in store for me! :eek::p I've already had my run of bad-luck on my current project. I'll get an oxy-acetylene torch and weld it on.....<grumble, grumble>

Woof,

Dave

It's a standard fitting. Most finder-brackets fit what Orion is pretending to be proprietary. Note the Celestron's finder & bracket:

attachicon.gif050234220972_NexStar_127SLT_22097_1.jpeg

Now look at the Orion bracket. It should fit fine. The only problem that some may encounter is the fitting being slightly loose. This usually is due to poor machining. It can be easily cured by way of applying some tape, or a shim of rubber. This rarely happens - but is no cause for a coronary.

Keep Away From Aircraft!

Dave

Thanks for the response...  the mounts definitely looked similar, but I wanted to be sure.  Anyway, it fits perfectly, so no problems.  In my research, I did find people with Celestron scopes (SE models, I believe), who were complaining that Orion finderscopes didn't fit.  The mounts looks similar, but apparently are somewhat different.  

Anyway, the Orion GLP fit my 127slt just fine.  

Thanks.  

Between this thread and my having just ordered a new finder myself, I've embarked on some research into the subject of finders & brackets and what works with what. What I'm finding is that some outfits are making their fittings proprietary instead of universal. Meade is one such bunch. Both my LX-series and my AR-refractors need a Meade fitting. Just the bracket/shoes. I don't even want to think about the spare Moto-Focuser I have.

I regard this situation as quite petty on the part of such companies: Forcing the customer to limit their choice of what & where to spend their money. If more of us were to send letters to these outfits, as we find them, and tell them this practice may result in their being out of the running when it comes time for a whole, new telescope - then we might effect a positive change in the corporation in question. But that's just me being an activist! :grin:

I ordered a GSO,

Dave

Archived