SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bright Perseid with train.

Whoop de do!

I've got a photo showing some cloud with an odd squiggle of bright running across it at the wrong angle - it looks just like your train images. I've just realised it must be the shot I took of the train of a meteor that stayed visible for at least ten seconds. I didn't expect it to come out so I didn't twig what it was.

I've been guessing 10 seconds of persistence, but after seeing your gif and thinking about how long it took for the other exposure to finish and reset the camera this may well be the tail end of a 30-second plus trail?

Persistent Trail

Are you using BST or UTC, my photo was at 12:23 BST but allowing for the camera time being off a bit, it could well have been around 23:21 UTC. Note that I was near Hoar Cross in Staffordshire and it was more or less due north.
The Staffordshire Fireball!
It must be the same one - the stars are the same and in the same orientation, just shifted about due to parallax.
Amazing, four-and-a-half billion years flying round the sun, then we all photograph its last few seconds.

Whoop de do!

I've got a photo showing some cloud with an odd squiggle of bright running across it at the wrong angle - it looks just like your train images. I've just realised it must be the shot I took of the train of a meteor that stayed visible for at least ten seconds. I didn't expect it to come out so I didn't twig what it was.

I've been guessing 10 seconds of persistence, but after seeing your gif and thinking about how long it took for the other exposure to finish and reset the camera this may well be the tail end of a 30-second plus trail?

Are you using BST or UTC, my photo was at 12:23 BST but allowing for the camera time being off a bit, it could well have been around 23:21 UTC. Note that I was near Hoar Cross in Staffordshire and it was more or less due north.
The Staffordshire Fireball!
It must be the same one - the stars are the same and in the same orientation, just shifted about due to parallax.
Amazing, four-and-a-half billion years flying round the sun, then we all photograph its last few seconds.

Hi, I have checked the timings on my recording and the meteor flash was at 12:23  BST +/- 1min. The train was visible on the video for about 2.5 minuets after.  So a very good chance it's the same one  :smiley:

Yep, the stars on mine match laurie's, just shifted to the right and up a bit.

Even though the trail faded from my eyesight, it must have persisted long enough for the 30--second exposure to get a good capture. That was the biggest of the night, but I saw several others almost as bright.

Archived