Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Perseids

Scott

So.... tonight looks like being clear here (shock) and I'd like to set up for the meteor shower.

Please let me know where my logic is flawed.

i) camera set to 18mm,iso1600,30 sec exposures fast f/stop

ii) static tripod or tracking? I'm thinking tracking 

iii) aim camera at or nr the radiant? is this the best option?

as you can see, I'm clueless when it comes to imaging meteors so any tips....great :)

Thanks for your time 

Turn off in camera noise reduction or you will be halving your capture time of the sky i.e. the camera will be taking a dark frame exposure equal to the main exposure.

If you aim at the radiant in the Milky way the meteor trails will be shorter than aiming off to one side of the radiant. If you can keep the radiant in the frame you will be able to easily see if it is a Perseid or not or personally I would track it with only one camera

For visual they usually recommend looking 20 to 30 degrees off the radiant, assume this would apply to imaging as well? The closer to the radiant a meteor appears the shorter it's path will be as it is coming straight at you.

cheers David, I did notice last night there seemed to be more activity around the plough to the west and Cygnus toward the east so that seems to be about right. I'm yet to check the subs

Archived