SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Problem with DSS and CR2 RAW files

Mr Frodo 57

I'm a newbie to astrophotography and having read Steve Richards excellent book 'Making Every Photon Count' have started to explore this exciting and frustrating branch of astronomy.  I use a Canon EOS 550D on my skywatcher 200P mounted on a HEQ5 mount.  I get good images (no trailing - at least not that I can detect at the moment) and take 10 or more of a target.  So plenty of material to use.

My problem arises when I try to stack these images in DSS.  DSS doesn't like the Canon CR2 RAW files from my camera and simply displays them as a broad strip amounting to about a quarter of the frame from the one side only.  When I put a JPG file in instead, it shows that perfectly ok.  Obviously I don't want to use a JPG file as some of the original data will have been lost in processing.  So has anybody else experienced this and if so how have you overcome the problem.

Thanks for any help offered.

Archived