Shooting star?

To answer some of the questions from the original post, take a look at your stacking settings. Stacking works (simplistically) by averaging the pixel values across all the subs, so a faint line on one sub will be swamped by the other subs which don't have the line.

To get the shots with all the meteors showing on the one image, you have to stack for the background and then composit the individual frames with the meteors, over the top. You can do this in Photoshop by pasting the meteor image as a new layer ontop of your background image, and then setting the layer blending mode to 'lighten'. One happy side effect of the stacking is that, provided you don't crop your base image first, the individual meter or images should line up.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an example, a satellite with an initially relatively bright trail that flares and then fades back to the same brightness. It looks quite similar to a meteor with a terminal burst but I can assure you it's a satellite. A satellite may be so dim that it doesn't register on a photograph. If it then appears to flare up, it can just appear on one exposure but not be seen on the one before or after it.

attachicon.gifF_IMG_1069.jpg

Looks just like the meteor example in August S@N :)

Dave

Not sure which one you're referring to or whether you mean magazine or TV show but as far as I've seen, they are all correctly attributed.

Just pointing out that it's difficult for us non experts to tell the difference, especially given the limitations of magazine photo reproduction.

Dave

I havnt got photoshop but recently got GIMP so may have a try with that if the weathers kind but looking at the forecast I think the whole country may be under cloud thursday

No need to wait 'till Thursday, I've seen a couple already, not where the camera was pointing obviously  :grin:

Dave

Archived