Nexstar power consumption ?

Hello!

I hope that someone of more experienced owners of Celestron NexStar mounts can answer my questions about the portable electric supply. 8-)

1. Is it normal that the fully charged 12V / 7AH battery gives out 12.9-13V, not 12V?

2. What is the power consumption (or consumption current) of Celestron NexStar SLT mount?

Hello!

I hope that someone of more experienced owners of Celestron NexStar mounts can answer my questions about the portable electric supply. 8-)

1. Is it normal that the fully charged 12V / 7AH battery gives out 12.9-13V, not 12V?

2. What is the power consumption (or consumption current) of Celestron NexStar SLT mount?

1,  A fully charged, healthy battery will give out a little more than 12v, so yours is ok

2.. Under max slew the current drawn is less than 1.5a

1,  A fully charged, healthy battery will give out a little more than 12v, so yours is ok

2.. Under max slew the current drawn is less than 1.5a

I just read somewhere else on SGL within the last hour that a 12v, 7Ah pack fully charged will give off between 12-13v. So as Peter said..............yours is ok. Ive got 2 of them (branded) and its been so long since i used them or even charged them that i think i may need a new one come time to start observing again (mid-september for me).

I'll give em a go and see what happens. I have the Celestron 8SE scope.

Power Sonic, the ones I have, 12V 17Ah and 7Ah, according to their technical information, have a very long shelf life, with a slow drop off in voltage from a fully charged status, if not used. They recommend a three month check when not in use, as they lose something in the order of 3%,  0.4 of a volt per month. If yours are quality braded Luke, they may just be recoverable, if they have been stored in dry reasonable temperatures :)

If your branded power tank does drain flat and can't be recovered - even by deep cycle recharge - don't waste money buying a whole new one. You can just replace the battery and it'll only cost half as much. When I changed mine I actually replaced a 17ah with a brand new 20ah for under £50 at the time.

I use Tayna Batteries who are quite competitive and give good service. You may need an initial call just to confirm the physical dimensions and specs for your particular tank. :)

Archived