SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need advise on a Ethos?

bamastar

I like the Hyperions in scopes of F/8 and F/10. They are nicely designed eyepieces that work well at that focal ratio. They show lots of astigmatism in the outer parts of the field of view at F/5 though. I was a bit dissapointed with that aspect of them. The Hyperion zoom is actually better than the fixed focal length hyperions in this respect.

Also a bit "off topic" for an Ethos related thread !

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know its off topic but I was seriously considering an ethos but was really wanting to try one out before I made that kind of $ commitment. It doesn't seem likely I will be able to test one so I've been considering another option with my $ and that is the hyperions or possibly a few more ES 82° sense I know I like them. That's all I was staying. The ethos isn't off the table yet but I'm considering other options as well.

• 1 month later...

Well, I actually have a 13mm ethos on loan from a friend that I have meet on here. I had a chance to use it when we observed together and GE let me take it home to test out! I'm very thankful for him letting me do that! I haven't had a good night yet to try it out again, but the few hours I used it, I was really liking it. He also had a 20mm ES100° I tried and it was very nice as well. The 3.6 ethos he has was a bit much for my scope at I've 300x mag.

I find the very short eyepieces like the 3.7mm in the 110 degree field offer too much power from the big Dob, which is where these come into their own in my books. I have Ethos'ssss down to 6mm and even that one only gets used from time to time in the Dob. I have for a very long time now wanted and then not bothered with the 4.7mm and even now I still think about it even though I have the 4.5mm Delos. Something makes me think I will buy the 4.7mm one day even though I have said on site that I would not, TeleVue does that to you.

At the moment I find I am not using my other scopes much, in fact with the weather I am not using any scopes, a week now of rain and generally horrible weather. The lack of use though could be that there is not much planetary action in the evening sky with Saturn now behind a walnut tree.

Archived