NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Southsea first light for newish kit

Jonk

I've had my 250pds, az-eq6 and Baader 8-24 hyperion for a while now, but not had a chance to get outside and use it.

Tonight however, all that changed!

It's very clear outside and I could see the milky way stretching from roughly due south all the way up to cassiopeia.

Once I had a rough PA, and aligened the Telrad, I went star aligning.

First thing I noticed was how bright stars such as Vega were in the 250 as opposed to my other scope, the 150p.

Once aligned-ish I went for the obvious - M13.

Beautiful, looked at that for ages.

I then wanted to get Saturn in, but she had just dipped below the fence.

Fine, off I went to M31...yep, still there!

I then tried the deep sky tour on the handset. This took me to things I've not observed yet as I mainly do imaging.

The Swan nebula, the cats eye, the ring, the dumbell. Excellent, it really was. I loved the ring nebula, so clear!

Anyway, to wrap up, I'm glad I bought the 250 and the hyperion, gives me something to do while the other one snaps away in the background!

It helps that my back garden had little stray light coming in although the sky os still fairly bright and always will be here.

I'm happy to have seen some great objects tonight, gives me loads of imaging targets to try next!

A great night!

I'm surprised and pleased you can see the MW from Portsmouth - I was born in North End by Alexandra Park and lived there until I was 10. Wish I'd spent more time looking up now, but was too busy hunting crabs and turning over rocks :)

I did enjoy it a lot. I still prefer imaging though, don't have to stand on a toolbox when near zenith!

I can see the milky way as a cloudy stretch across the sky, but then i do know where to look. Where I am at the bottom of the eastern road, there's less LP and i don't have direct lights round the back so am fairly lucky.

I might get an LP filter for visual as I only have an eos clip for the camera.

I great couple of hours last night, that's for sure.

Archived