Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barlowed Laser Collimation?

I have seen several forms on here and the American version of this website (Cloudy Nights) mentioning laser collimation using a Barlow. I have an Orion deluxe 2 laser collimator, and a Orion shorty x2 Barlow( pictured) and have tried this. Its not working for me. The Barlow just scatters the light! There's not point of reference. Without the Barlow, I have a single point of light hitting my primary to set the secondary, and a single point of light coming back to the collimator tube to set my primary. With the Barlow, the light is scattered everywhere. Am I doing something wrong, or am I missing something? What is the advantage of using a Barlow for this? Thanks!

post-45947-0-05974000-1437444777_thumb.j

You are supposed to adjust the secondary mirror without a barlow first then use the barlowed laser technique to adjust the primary mirror.

On the rear window of your laser, you need to center the primary mirror central spot shadow. 

Jason

Archived