Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Learning to image – my first couple of months

Hi all,

I’ve spent the past couple of months getting to grips with imaging (and getting quite addicted!) and I thought it was about time I posted some pictures of my progress through the fairly steep learning curve.  I got a Skywater 150p on an EQ3-2 and after getting the hang of using the scope for visual observation I had a go at some afocal imaging with my iphone.  I wasn’t expecting too much (especially as I live in a town - not exactly dark skies) but did ok with M57:

Ring Nebula

After catching the imaging bug I invested in a Canon 1100D, and I’ve got some reasonable shots unguided using the RA motor on the mount.  I’m limited to 30-60 second exposures with the mount (occasionally I have managed 90s) and I have to chuck quite a few of the subs away, but I’ve got a few decent images:

North America Nebula

M31

I then finally got the courage up to spend a few hours modding the 1100D, thanks to the excellent guide by Gary Honis and reading the posts on here by others who have done the same, which has made a big difference:

Cocoon Nebula

Bubble Nebula

The latest addition is a coma corrector which is giving me a few problems (the focuser tube now sticks a bit too far back in the OTA) but I’m still quite happy with the results.  

West Veil Nebula

I think I have made a bit of progress over the past couple of months, but I’m still very much a beginner when it comes to processing so any advice greatly appreciated.  I’m generally using DSS for stacking and then Photoshop after that.

Next steps will probably be guiding, although I have to do a bit of saving up first.

Anyway, comments & advice very welcome – higher res versions and a few more shots are here.

Cheers,

C

That is a excellent collection of images... Excellent start. I'm looking forward to see what images you come up with once you start autoguiding and getting longer subs.

DSS and PS is all you really need to process your captures... Most important is that your subs are good quality, then you can get awesome images using nothing but those two programs.

Really good images. Especially like the bubble Nebula, I must have a go at that. I'm about the same stage as you, though I've been guiding for a couple of months. I've been trialling Photoshop CC and will probably subscribe, much against my nature! I downloaded HLVG plugin, which gets rid of the green noise (free) and am trialling Gradient Xterminator as well. Might get that for £30 as it does the job well. I get my Modded 100d delivered today hopefully so am really looking forward to that.

Cheers, Tim. 

Thanks for the comments!  I've had a quick play around with Gradient Xterminator Tim, looks like a very useful plugin though I'm still getting to grips with how to use it.  HLVG is a new one to me though, I'll certainly check it out.

Cheers,

C.

Hi all,

I’ve spent the past couple of months getting to grips with imaging (and getting quite addicted!) and I thought it was about time I posted some pictures of my progress through the fairly steep learning curve.  I got a Skywater 150p on an EQ3-2 and after getting the hang of using the scope for visual observation I had a go at some afocal imaging with my iphone.  I wasn’t expecting too much (especially as I live in a town - not exactly dark skies) but did ok with M57:

After catching the imaging bug I invested in a Canon 1100D, and I’ve got some reasonable shots unguided using the RA motor on the mount.  I’m limited to 30-60 second exposures with the mount (occasionally I have managed 90s) and I have to chuck quite a few of the subs away, but I’ve got a few decent images:

I then finally got the courage up to spend a few hours modding the 1100D, thanks to the excellent guide by Gary Honis and reading the posts on here by others who have done the same, which has made a big difference:

The latest addition is a coma corrector which is giving me a few problems (the focuser tube now sticks a bit too far back in the OTA) but I’m still quite happy with the results.  

I think I have made a bit of progress over the past couple of months, but I’m still very much a beginner when it comes to processing so any advice greatly appreciated.  I’m generally using DSS for stacking and then Photoshop after that.

Next steps will probably be guiding, although I have to do a bit of saving up first.

Anyway, comments & advice very welcome – higher res versions and a few more shots are here.

Cheers,

C

Great stuff. In a very similar position myself - just starting out. If I can get images like yours (your Andromeda is my favourite) after my first go or two then I'll be delighted! 

Archived