Help with Orion Mak 127

I bought my first telescope, an Orion SkyView Prom Mak 127mm, a little over 2 years ago.  However was unable to spend time on this hobby as planned and only used it a handful of times.  Scope was carefully packed in a garage closet with moisture absorbing packets.  When I recently unpacked the scope, I was shocked to discover a snowflake like pattern inside the tube that looks like its on the primary mirror. Could this be rust or residual from dew?  I thought it was dry when I packed it away.  I have used it recently to view the Venus-Jupiter show at nightfall several times as well as Saturn and it does not seem to affect the view.  But I'm would not know for sure since I'm still learning what to expect and trying to sort out the best eyepieces to use etc.  I not very impressed so far, but not sure it its my lack of skill, bad eyes, the eyepieces, or equipment.  I have not seen the moons around Jupiter or noticed any shading bands on Saturn or Jupiter.

Any advice on the tube "snowflake" problem and whether to try to fix it? 

I would also appreciate any advice on getting better views of planets.  Tube is f/12 with a TFOV of .13 and I have a 40MM Highlight Plossl, 25mm Sirius Plossl, 10mm Sirius Plossl and 2x Shorty Barlow.

Thank you!

post-45956-0-10844900-1437246856_thumb.j

That looks like corrosion on the primary unfortunately.

There is not a lot you can do as I expect that replacing the primary end is "difficult" in that you have to get hold of one, I think that actually pulling one assembly out and putting it, or another, back in is not difficult.

Likely will make not a great deal of a problem owing to the way that the incoming light works, so keeping it dry is about the best/easiest/simplest option.

As to seeing planets, Jupiter needs around 80-100x, and Saturn needs 120x or 150x.

In eyepiece terms that means a 15mm eyepiece for Jupiter and 10mm for Saturn.

You could therefore try the 25mm and the barlow on one and the 10mm plossl on the other.

If 150x is clear the the 10mm plossl on both.

The barlow and an eyepiece may combine to a not so clear image as an eyepiece on its own.

Don't expect much if you try the 10mm and the barlow combined, too much magnification.

Also when it appears do not expect great things from Mars, Mars is rarely good.

You are probably right about the fungus. It's a bummer.

A better 10 mm might improve your planetary views.

On an f/12 telescope, high magnifications are reached with 12 to 6 mm eyepieces. A 6mm eyepiece will be pretty dim though, and at this focal length diffraction unsharpenes from the objective becomes obvious.

I mistakenly thought that less moisture would be formed if telescope was not exposed to going in and out of the house.  Hoped it might speed up stablizing the air currents in the tube when taking it outside.  LLAP, Took it out for around 4 hours this afternoon.  Temps around 95F and high humidity today.  it did not appear to have any affect.

Plan to test Ronin's advice on EPs tonite, if it clears up enough to view Saturn.

Thanks again for advice!

Archived