Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier mount

recceranger

Hi There,

Depends if you are diy or buy made. If diy, I would look for the obsy build threads on sgl. There are some excellent examples there.. New, Altair Astro or FLO should be able to sort out for you.

Commercial piers can be very expensive and may not be exactly what you require - especially the height.  You could try your local Steel Fabricators (see Yellow pages or Google) and they could make one for you at a sensible price to your own dimensions.

Guys,

Many thanks, I found a solution from Pulsar Obsevatories. They do a pier and adaptation that allows either a CPC or Nexstar Evolution fork mount to be loaded.

All I need now is this MOD funding to get it built for the kids!

If you're buildng an observatory it's a big decision. Are you absolutely sure that these mounts are going to be what you want? There are things they don't do well. Best to be sure before rather than usure after...

Olly

Thanks Olly,

The observatory is to provide a facility for service (military) children and civilian children within our local area. It will hopefully spark an interest in the subject. Most will have never looked through a scope and will know little or nothing about space etc.

The idea of mount and scope choice is to ensure its as user friendly as possible. The Evolution has some quirks that the children will really dig including the ability to use personal iPhone or iPad with wifi etc.

An EQ type mount is way too complex for both kids and staff as apart from me they have no experience of astronomy

Thanks Olly,

The observatory is to provide a facility for service (military) children and civilian children within our local area. It will hopefully spark an interest in the subject. Most will have never looked through a scope and will know little or nothing about space etc.

The idea of mount and scope choice is to ensure its as user friendly as possible. The Evolution has some quirks that the children will really dig including the ability to use personal iPhone or iPad with wifi etc.

An EQ type mount is way too complex for both kids and staff as apart from me they have no experience of astronomy

Quite agree. This should be an excellent choice, then. I hope the project goes well.

Olly

Archived