NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

David Lukehurst 22in Ultra Compact.

Hi Calv, I'd agree with that, and can only speak of experience with mine. The Canopus has strong elasticated balance supports which I rarely need to attach. I always use a paracorr, and my eyepieces are fairly heavy. The only time I've had to attach the balance "strings", is near the horizon with my 26mm Nagler & paracorr combination, and even then it seems to depend on the day whether its necessary. The scope is exceptionally well balanced.

I've used the scope a lot now, and I check the collimation with my Howie Glatter laser occasionaly. I've learn't that ensuring the truss tube knobs are fairly tight reduces any movement in the colimation considerably. If I collimate at 45 deg, its only when I move to the Zeneth or Horizon that the return laser dot might have moved slightly but its a very minor movement if at all.

So I'm very happy with the balance and the way it holds collimation.

I would say 'ditto' with mine Richard.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious about the perceived mirror problems in 4 years. Mine lives in a far from windproof roll off sentry box and still seems OK after 10 years despite having been bought slightly second hand even then. Mind you I guess we are free from industrial pollutants here as well. Many of the local humans last more than a hundred years. (They really do.)

:grin: lly

Olly Its more OCD from my side tbh, my main concern was why buy a scope 4 years old, when you can get a brand spanking new scope and mirror from Nichole for the same price  :grin:

Well yes. In my view a Dob is a Dob. I can't really see what a 'Rolls Royce' Dob is going to do that more modest  offerings won't do, assuming comparable optics. You want it to be balanced, smooth moving and structurally stable. That doesn't require huge costs to acheive.

Olly

Well yes. In my view a Dob is a Dob. I can't really see what a 'Rolls Royce' Dob is going to do that more modest offerings won't do, assuming comparable optics. You want it to be balanced, smooth moving and structurally stable. That doesn't require huge costs to acheive.

Olly

Exactly. When i view stuff in my SW flextube and the image is super crisp i wonder to myself how can a premium mirror be much better than this? I guess the next part if my journey is to find out.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Premium optics, in visual use, are only a little better than 'very good common or garden' in my view but, then again, once you get into some activity more seriously then small gains start to matter...

I'm a keen but not obsessive visual observer. As an imager I'm on the lunacy borderline, or beyond...

Olly

Archived