Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using telescope for first time. Need help.

Hi jetstrem,

Thank you. :). Actually I tried to look at M4. The main problem for me was the moon. It was very close to Antares yest. I saw some double stars yest. Mizar and algieba in Leo. I even saw altair, but again couldn't see the colours properly as even that was close to moon a bit. I have decided to try again after few days as moon will be a little late in sky. So that I can see some high magnitude stuffs. And thanks again. You ppl are keeping me on toes :). And I'm happy I didn't go for a goto. Finding things in sky is so much fun. :).

Thanks,

Shubha

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, i do not know what guide or map you are using to search for messiers, but I would recommend the book Turn Left at Orion. It is a great book and it contains very nice sketches to guide you. It also shows the field of view you would expect to see, and the path you could take to reach the messier. It is a wonderful book, very much worth buying!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I can also recommend "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" - by R.B. Thompson and B.F. Thompson. Similar in style to TLAO but containing many more objects. If you intend to use books outside by the scope - look for ring bound with damp protected pages. :)

• 4 months later...

Archived