Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fullerscopes 11.75": to keep or not?

Hi all

Thanks for comments, I am definitely thinking now of a bit of refurb and keeping, that has to be a more cost effective option. BTW, the pillar is a very heavy duty custom made steel job. Am going to get a shed / observatory anyway so it can all live in there while being sorted out over time.

Phil

Good decision

I think you may be surprised when refurbished how good it performs .

And looks so much cooler than modern scopes ,quodos......

• 5 years later...

After quite some time, a quick update!  So the scope, mounting and everything is here at home. I have renovated the Mk IV, disassembled, lubed and cleaned, reassembled and it all moves so smoothly! All re-touched with Hammerite black .Have thoroughly cleaned the worm-drives, but have not done anything else to the motors. Pics to follow. Am now moving on to the  scope itself, will be getting the mirror recoated along with the 4" finder.

Am probably then going to decide whether to sell - its just physically too big! 

• Like 4

As an aside, I found a 4" Fullerscopes refractor in a charity shop last year for £40 so had to  buy it! No mounting, but has mounting rings. Lens needs a careful clean, and the steel tube needs a clean, otherwise not bad condition.

Here's the MKIV atop the steel pillar, a close up of the cleaned up MKIV, the 4" reflector finder with the 4" refractor I found in a charity shop,  the MKIV with the scope mounting rings. and lastly the telescope on the bench ready for a cleaning. 

20210227_143704.jpg

20210227_144323.jpg

20210227_142542.jpg

20210227_142608.jpg

20210227_143142.jpg

• Like 2