NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spikes

jetstream

My current set up is getting closer to being optimized, well at least as far as maximizing the stuff that I have.

Today the seeing is fantastic again, with 200x giving unbelievable disk views, it looks as if the chromosphere has been has been painted on with brushes, twists and swirls all over the place and the filaments are in stark contrast to the disk, they are dark looking until they "come round the bend" and turn into bright proms! :smiley:

The feature that's has grabbed my attention is a bright patch on the top left quarter of the sun (using a diag), near a sunspot. There are 2 or 3 short "spikes" protruding out of the sun- and not at the edge. This is either an illusion or I am seeing a 3D feature clearly- I have never seen this before. Around the sunspot there is a dark patch with swirls about...

What are these spikes and what is that very bright patch called? This seems best at reduced mag, between about 110x-130x. Whatever this is it is quite a sight!

I must say this- I LOVE Ha... :grin:

After seeing this feature I got looking around for images that might have caught what I saw. This image, borrowed from Valery( with permission) on Solarchat, shows the feature very well. Visually the spikes were smaller and blunt in comparison to this fantastic image, but were stunning none the less. The feature liked lower mag but the very bright patch that the spikes erupted out of took more - this is the advantage to zooms, dialing in the best mag for the objects in an instant.

post-30641-0-28136700-1434286979_thumb.p

Fantastic Gerry, great report on the first post, you sounded so excited it was like a commentary on the final 3 furlongs of a horse race :grin:  I hope it keeps up for you..... we still have horizon to horizon cloud here :shocked:

Thanks guys :smiley: I do get kind of excited when seeing something new  :grin:  and there is also satisfaction when things come together. The seeing here is VG but variable, T-storms coming now so when it's nice out the scopes are quickly utilized.

The higher mag is great, but as another post (somewhere lol!) illustrated, contrast can be a function of dimming the sun- by either using the polariser or (reduced exit pupil - my thoughts). I would tend to think a tighter filter used in conjunction with an optimum low exit pupil would give startling results- all this at or just below the resolution limit of the scope.... of course I could be wrong and probably am lol! My new zoom is an excellent fit for good seeing, the scope likes a bit lower mag in avg or below seeing.

Those spikes were an amazing sight and the detail around the area mesmerizing, I can't wait to see more!

Archived