NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade LX200R

Finally had a proper first light last Saturday and thought I would share some observations.

After a dodgy start (loose connection in the arm that prevented automatic alignment, soon fixed) I switched on and waited for levelling to complete and GPS signal to fix. After a few minutes it was pointing towards the first bright star which was easy to centre as I had aligned my finder and main scope earlier on a tree. Another star later and all was set up and ready.

Jupiter in the twilight. Not bang in the middle of my 18mm ES 82, but close. Two moons and two bands showing.

M13. Just a smudge using averted vision.

So I waited a few hours and at about 1 in the morning back to M13. Woah! Using the 11mm ES 82 this was a sight to behold. The LX200R is so flat! Stars across the field looked so crisp. I could resolve stars down to the core and on previous scopes could only resolve the outer ones. And then a meteor goes across the EP to completely blind me!

M92, again superb. M5 and 3, not as amazing but still, they were globular. Before I had to take a shot to see them properly.

M57, a ring immediately in the 18mm. Such good views compared to my old Nexstar GPS. Always close to the centre of the EP. A very accurate goto.

Saturn had creeped between my rose arch by now. A bit low and blurry, clear rings and a moon. One band showing. Not superb but always worth a look.

Then some open clusters, M29 and 39. In the Maxvision 40mm 68 they were astonishing. I have never seen such a sharp view of them before.

Then an old favourite. The Blue Snowball. There it was. Clear and blue, my daughter loved it.

I was worried going Meade. I loved my three (!) GPS scopes, especially the two 8". But I didn't need to worry. This thing is accurate, the view is crisp to the edges, the goto is bang on after a quick auto alignment.

It is noisier but I don't care. Could not be happier!

Finally had a proper first light last Saturday and thought I would share some observations.

After a dodgy start (loose connection in the arm that prevented automatic alignment, soon fixed) I switched on and waited for levelling to complete and GPS signal to fix. After a few minutes it was pointing towards the first bright star which was easy to centre as I had aligned my finder and main scope earlier on a tree. Another star later and all was set up and ready.

Jupiter in the twilight. Not bang in the middle of my 18mm ES 82, but close. Two moons and two bands showing.

M13. Just a smudge using averted vision.

So I waited a few hours and at about 1 in the morning back to M13. Woah! Using the 11mm ES 82 this was a sight to behold. The LX200R is so flat! Stars across the field looked so crisp. I could resolve stars down to the core and on previous scopes could only resolve the outer ones. And then a meteor goes across the EP to completely blind me!

M92, again superb. M5 and 3, not as amazing but still, they were globular. Before I had to take a shot to see them properly.

M57, a ring immediately in the 18mm. Such good views compared to my old Nexstar GPS. Always close to the centre of the EP. A very accurate goto.

Saturn had creeped between my rose arch by now. A bit low and blurry, clear rings and a moon. One band showing. Not superb but always worth a look.

Then some open clusters, M29 and 39. In the Maxvision 40mm 68 they were astonishing. I have never seen such a sharp view of them before.

Then an old favourite. The Blue Snowball. There it was. Clear and blue, my daughter loved it.

I was worried going Meade. I loved my three (!) GPS scopes, especially the two 8". But I didn't need to worry. This thing is accurate, the view is crisp to the edges, the goto is bang on after a quick auto alignment.

It is noisier but I don't care. Could not be happier!

nice first light report, glad your enjoying it. alan potts loves these to sure he will be along to congratulate you :smiley:

Congrats on your purchase, I've an 10"LX200R bought new in the brief period before they had to change the name to ACF, permanently mounted on wedge in obsy, always been very happy with it, great Solar System scope and small DSO imaging scope.

Agree with the noise, sounds really load parking it at 2.0 in the morning but I'm too old to care :)

Dave

Archived