NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My New Binoculars Have Just Arrived

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/helios/helios-apollo-high-resolution.html

Just picked these up these 22x85  binos, in  the  clearance section for £276.

Very pleased . Was not sure if they were going to be to big .Xmas has

come early.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/horizon-8115-2-way-heavy-duty-tripod.html

Got this to go with it .Waiting for the ISS to go over tonight.

Steve.

post-1842-0-16717200-1433872223_thumb.jp

post-1842-0-93199000-1433872290_thumb.jp

Snap mine arrived today - not as good as yours I suspect - I went for the celestron 20x80 but they're only for occasional use.

Sky looks a bit grim here tonight though - I hope you have more luck with the weather and the iss.

Snap mine arrived today - not as good as yours I suspect - I went for the celestron 20x80 but they're only for occasional use.

Sky looks a bit grim here tonight though - I hope you have more luck with the weather and the iss.

Congrats Steve :) 

They sit surprisingly well on the Horizon tripod don't they. I wasn't sure about it when I first got my 15x85's. I've had to buy a blimming Skytee II mount for my latest 28x110's they're that big and heavy! They're going to be amazing once I've collimated them though, I need to pull my finger out and get it done.

Hope you catch the ISS ok :) 

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-skymaster-20-x-80-observation-binoculars.html

There don't look a lot of difference really. Mine was just a  

impulse buy.Sky is a bit  black @ the moment. They are

nice binos though. Worth the money.No idea.

Steve.

Steve, 

They are BA8 class binos which are pretty much as good as it gets without paying 4 times the amount for 5% better :)

Steve, 

They are BA8 class binos which are pretty much as good as it gets without paying 4 times the amount for 5% better :)

Perhaps I should have bought a pair like U have  

got Chris, & saved the money. Live & learn.

Steve

Congrats Steve :)

They sit surprisingly well on the Horizon tripod don't they. I wasn't sure about it when I first got my 15x85's. I've had to buy a blimming Skytee II mount for my latest 28x110's they're that big and heavy! They're going to be amazing once I've collimated them though, I need to pull my finger out and get it done.

Hope you catch the ISS ok :)

I would not want to put anything bigger on the Horizon tripod, than these.

These are pushing it a bit, when extended.

Steve.

Perhaps I should have bought a pair like U have  

got Chris, & saved the money. Live & learn.

Steve

Steve,

I think you've done ok :) I paid nearly as much for second hand 15x85's that then arrived out of collimation. I found it quite time consuming and stressful trying to find out how to sort them because the collimation screws on BA8's are so well hidden. Literally the only person who knew in the end was Steve Tonkin who has literally written books on binoculars.  

I don't think I would have bought the cheaper out of collimation 28x110's from astroboot if I didn't know how to sort them out. I'm happy to help anyone who buys a pair out of collimation, and there is my thread with pics to illustrate to people how to do it:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/239871-collimation-tips-ts-15x85mx/ 

You've done good both not messing about with cheaper pairs which often disappoint, and for getting a pair under warranty so If they are out of collimation they can be sorted without getting the screwdrivers out :)

Steve,

I think you've done ok :) I paid nearly as much for second hand 15x85's that then arrived out of collimation. I found it quite time consuming and stressful trying to find out how to sort them because the collimation screws on BA8's are so well hidden. Literally the only person who knew in the end was Steve Tonkin who has literally written books on binoculars.  

I don't think I would have bought the cheaper out of collimation 28x110's from astroboot if I didn't know how to sort them out. I'm happy to help anyone who buys a pair out of collimation, and there is my thread with pics to illustrate to people how to do it:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/239871-collimation-tips-ts-15x85mx/ 

You've done good both not messing about with cheaper pairs which often disappoint, and for getting a pair under warranty so If they are out of collimation they can be sorted without getting the screwdrivers out :)

Hi Chris. I have just read your thread on your bins.

What a performance. At least you got it sorted.

U must have thought about giving up @ one time.

Or bringing out the hammer. :p

lol yeah, the guy who sold me them had me adjusting the prism housing screws for a couple of clear nights. It completely baffled me why nothing was happening :D

I was so happy when I finally got them collimated, plus it's a new skill I've learnt which is always good in this hobby :)

I think when I collimate the big guns I should do a step by step guide so anyone in a similar situation can find it via Google :)

I see that we have both got the C8 Edge in common.

My CPC version, is about the best scope I have had.

So easy to set up & use. I sold the C11 & got this.

I see that U have got a  observatory,  so set is not a

problem for U..Very  lucky.

Steve

Archived