Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Great night!!... But...

Had a great night tonight, saw Albireo, doubledouble, cor caroli but when I was looking for M94 as suggested to me, I came across an object that looked kind of like a cluster but more blurred than individual stars. It formed a triangle with two other stars. Could anybody confirm whether this was a galaxy (galaxy core?) if so was it M94 or M63. Or am I just going mad? Thanks!!!!

Your going mad. :grin: :grin: :grin:

This is a normal event at about 300-350 posts. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Looking at the M objects M94 would likely come out as blurred star but big enough to be obviously not a star - the description says Galaxy, Spiral. However the image looks more like an eliptical or lenticular.

Useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Messier_objects

Doesn't give the size so not sure how it would appear to you in terms of size.

Cannot help with the reference to triangle with 2 other stars, there are just so many stars.

Not observed either of these in an 8" scope so I'm not sure how much help I'm going to be as its a bit difficult to know exactly what to expect at that aperture. 

M94 is small with high surface brightness and should be easily seen in an 8" scope as a small fairly bright nebulous patch. I would imagine it should appear obviously non stellar in an 8" scope. Its name the "crocs eye" is a good description IMO. 

M63 is more diffuse but should still be well seen in an 8" scope.  I should think in an 8" it would be seen quite well as a nebulous patch with a slight brightening towards the core. This is a bit of a guess though sorry :(

Hopefully someone that has observed them with an 8" scope will be able to give you a better answer. 

M94 should be a definite moderately defined smudge. Pretty underwhelming in my book. But always a thrill to pick off another Messier.

Just to making sure that you mean M94 about 5 or 6° from Cor Caroli in Canis Venatici??

Paul

Archived