Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cloud sensor

Starlight 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Still trying hard on this one , going back on his web-page ,some are saying to do away with the 2x9 v batts and use a rail splitter virtual ground  this is the number MCP609 quad operational amplifier (op amp) so a rethink on board layout as well, its geting way over my head. so still no good news on geting this working.

You are #defining ONE_WIRE_BUS as '2' then redefining it as '3' so every time you use it is is '3' - I think this means you are reading the same device twice.

I may be wrong - I'm an assembly language jockey, and not very used to C.

I was over looking this part of the making , till you have done this to the peltier cooler you not get anywere.

Once
you have
a nice stream of soot from the candle, pass the sensor back and forth over
the soot stream,

until the Peltier’s surface is nicely coated.

now I have reading that works, reading for out side or inside the house and it still works and it can see a flash gun on a camera going off.

I have been looking at the readings today as the sky was changing from sun, cloud and rain all day.  When wife got home I asked her to give me readings every 15 mins and by the readings

down to 0.3 mv I could tell what was happening exactly outside without looking.  This is very sensitive sensor, have no doubts you could detect lighning strikes per hour or meteorite showers

on a clear night.   Still planning on more changes to his original design by adding a ball head to make it more directional and a card reader on the softwear end, power consumption is so low, a 9v battery will last months.  Planning on running tests late into the night, if any changes will report back tomorrow.  So far I think it is a well worth project with my limited knowledge

of electrics and no programme knowledge at the start of it.

I've started work on an Arduino weather station w/peltier cloud detector for my observatory a few years back and never completed it.  Too many other projects, but recently I turned my attention to this project again... and decided to start from scratch.

For the cloud detector I am using this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11859

The housing will have a ZnSe window (which is really a lens, as used in CO2 laser optics) to allow MWIR to pass while protecting the sensor.

I've started work on an Arduino weather station w/peltier cloud detector for my observatory a few years back and never completed it.  Too many other projects, but recently I turned my attention to this project again... and decided to start from scratch.

For the cloud detector I am using this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11859

The housing will have a ZnSe window (which is really a lens, as used in CO2 laser optics) to allow MWIR to pass while protecting the sensor.

Thank for the link and keep me up to date on your one please.

• 4 weeks later...

I can now confirm the thermal coupling on my cloud sensor  Is working correctly.

I went over to the astro club Friday night , some kind gentlemen put me right on the configuration .

So it's only putting the program together so I had temperature readings, thermal couple readings, and rain sensor all running on the same program. 

Taken some pictures to upload later today on the progress.

We have 9 V supply on red and black, yellow and blue terminals going to thermal couple,  underneath all the resistors is the amp, the two blue pots are 22 turns on each To adjust the thermal couple, and voltage , As each part is all work and separately have more batteries until all the programs are completed as one unit.

• 1 year later...

Archived