Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Photography

I have recently purchased my ED 80 Pro and HEQ5 mount for astro photography.

I have got the T mount and 2" and 1 1/4 adaptor for my Eos, is there any thing else I need before I start as it looks as though it's going to be clear tonight.

Is it a case of bolt the EOS on the back of the ED 80 and away you go or do I need any focus adaptors.......

Greg

Ok Greg here goes.

First off polar align your mount as good as you can get it. (essential)

Spend as much time as you need to focus the camera as this is the

most important bit. (no need for focusing aids just yet)

Try a couple of test shots to test the tracking accuracy.

Once you have done this you can start taking 1 minute images.

The more familiar you get with this operation the more you can

increase the exposure time.

Don't be too disappointed with your first results mate as you have just

entered into another big learning curve. (trial and error as usual mate)

I look forward to seeing your first results.

No mate i would leave that till much later.

Just concentrate on the widefield images for now.

Once you get good focus just keep increasing your image exposure

time till you start to see trailing stars.

Then reduce it a bit take the images and stack them to get less noise.

Once James sees this thread he will keep you right.

Hi Greg,

You are just missing one part.....a remote control. Steve should be able to sort you out with one. There's a fancy version which does multiple exposures or there's a simple shutter release. Quite a difference in price, £90 vs £20.

But don't worry if you can't get it today. Just use the self timer and set the exposure to 30secs. And ISO to 800 or 1600.

Remember to capture as many images as possible of the same subject. ie if you go for M42 ( a good place to start with the 80ED) capture a good dozen images, or more if possible.

Point the ED at a bright star, put the EOS on the back, look through the view finder and bring the star to focus. Now move the scope to M42. If your finderscope is well aligned, M42 should pop straight into the EOS. The field of view with EOS and 80ED is huge.

You won't want to be using a barlow, so don't worry about that.

Don't worry about a mega precise polar alignment. Just making sure the RA axis is pointing towards Polaris will be enough for a 30sec exp. You won't even need to use the polar scope but it will help.

Hope that helps.

Russ

Hi Greg,

Russ has pretty much covered what i was going to say but i would add that when you think you have the camera in focus take an image then preview your image on your camera and zoom in to see if your star/stars are focussed many a time you could just be that little out in your focus well worth the effort.

The moon is a great starting place but alas no tonight so do as russ suggest and pick some thing bright maybe a widefield pic of saturn or M42.

Best of luck

James :lol:

Yep I forgot to mention fine tuning the focus....thanks James.

I normally end up taking a good half dozen images to nail the focus best i can.

There's a couple of software packages availabe that will control the Canon D60 via a laptop using the USB lead. This makes focusing easier.

Unfortunately like me with the Canon 10D, you cannot use the RC1 infra-red remote.

Good luck tonight Greg! :lol:

Russ

Jamie, James and Russ,

Thanks for your response guys - much appreciated.

I'll have a go tonight (Hope the weather holds!!) and post some results (Probably feint out of focus smudges!!)

Once again boys thanks for you help.

Greg

Archived