NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

130P DS Owners How Do Your Focuser Feel

Hi all, I need some advice from 130P DS owners. I have only had to mediocre clear skies since I took delivery of my 130P DS last Friday. I love the scope and can't wait to couple it with a EQ5 Pro Goto when I order it in a few weeks. While it is not a issue and the focuser is still nice to use and great for fine focus, I notice that when I wind the draw tube out around a 1/4 I get a little resistance, but it is not as bad going in. Before I undo the panel under it and look at the shaft, I was wondering if it could be the grub screw under it just touching a little, though unlikely.

Also does it have any little allen screws, etc to adjust on the outside to adjust? thanks in advance for any advice you give me.

Skywatcher should really document how to correctly adjust their DS focusers.  I wonder how many fancy focuser upgrades have been sold because of badly set up focusers...  Anyway, I found this link very handy for adjusting my 100ed ds focuser and I think it might well be the same for your 130pds (my 200pds looks to have the same configuration). 

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4932

Be careful about backing off the tension, as you dont want to take it too far and lose all grip.

I have a suspicion its something to do with your flat (the underside of the focuser tube). I took a moment to sand mine down a little to increase the friction (as I use a heavy CCD camera with my 130). Having said that, theres nothing wrong if theres a little stiffness in you focuser - especially when it comes to AP. The only time you need to take action is if the problem stops the focuser moving at any point.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't done nothing yet, so I might wait until I get a proper night and try it. I will be hanging a 1000D off it and to be honest the focuser feels good just  for that little bit of stiffness. Fine focusing is great as well.

Thanks again.

Archived