NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrotortilla?

kalasinman

As I said, my mount isn't synscan. Doesn't support APT. I find AT very easy to use and solves fast, but because I followed the tutorial before I started. The point of my post is to address using my QHY with AT, so can we stick to that? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya

Just came across this thread. You should be able to use APT as a capture program with the qhy5l-ii ok. I've tried it before. You have to select it as a 'ccd' (shift+connect) and you have to run APT as administrator. The mount should still work ok, I think. You need to use the qhy5l-ii ascom driver. The 'synscan' is irrelevant. I just tried it with my APT and it works fine (I got a liveview image though it wasn't full size for some reason :) ). Of course, it's daytime here now so had to set the Bulb exposure as 0.000001 sec, lol. I've not tried the Platesolve 2 though. I think in the past I may have got the qhy5l-ii to work with Astrotortilla but can't remember now.

Louise

Hiya

APT is just a image capture program (for Canon and Ascom ccd) so doesn't really care about the mount though mount Ascom compatability is useful and I believe iOptron uses Ascom? APT works fine with both my heq5 and avx. It works fine even if no mount is connected. It works with my Canons, qhy5l-ii and qhy8l cameras. Same is true of AT though that controls mount slewing via Ascom. It doesn't support Nikon, unfortunately.

Louise

Thanks, Louise, My Nikon is my first love and primary imager. It doesn't make sense to me to re-organoze around APT, when it's Canon specific. I did find imaging with the QHY to be better in concept than in practice, and only was tried as the Nikon was out for modding. If I'd choose to watch C-Men re-runs on TV rather than play with the QHY, that says something :grin:

Oh ok. I thought you were interested in doing some video imaging? I guess you wouldn't have to re-organise, just add APT in the mix... Their cooled version might be quite good though (when it finally comes out!) not especially cheap...

Cheers

Louise

I suppose, but really, for me the process of completely re-balancing and all of that just doesn't seem worth it. I've had a lot of time to think, and once the DSLR is modded, I have plans to start with emission nebulae.

I've started collecting Nikon prime lenses. I'll carry on with the newt for a while, then add in wide field with the camera lenses. I bought a 200mm f/4 prime today and plan on adding a 300mm f/4.5. Yes, it's another change over to set up for, but one I know I like. Video is interesting, but it doesn't capture my interest. I think, in a year, there will be a QHY9 around my house.

Hi

Ok, no worries. I've become quite fond of my super takumar 200mm f4 which I've mounted with an 1100d on a diy bracket with a guide scope. I probably don't really need the latter since, without an lp filter, I can really only get 45s subs cos of the lp and that's an unmodded camera!!

Louise

Archived