Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dalby forest Starfest

I've been to Dalby Forest a number of times Dom, in the years before I turned to SGL's Star Parties.

I always enjoyed the Astrofests in the North Yorks.venue in Adderstone Field, the main drawback is the non availability of electricity.

However, if you have plenty of battery power, then it doesn't ,or shouldn't affect imaging  or observing.

Also what I enjoyed was the areas around Dalby, which itself is a beautiful area. Scarborough is not too far, also Whtby. Then there is The North York Moors Steam Railway, which run trips from Pickering to Grosmont, where there is a railway Museum.

They cater for the Kids on the park too, in the form of Bat watches, and Moths too.Well, kids enjoy it.

Some good talks are usually given on astro. subjects too, plus an Astro Quiz, always good fun.

If you go, you will like it a lot, there is a little Cafe nestling in the woods just up the road from the site, they do a lovely Lemon Drizzle cake  :grin:.

Just pray for good weather, I'm afraid astronomy can take a beating  sometimes do to bad weather, but, that can happen wherever you go, other than La Palma.

Anyhow, weather or no, the social side at any star party wins out every time, and you're sure to make new friends.

You will enjoy it.

Best Wishes.

Ron.

Would it be safe to 1) Leave telescope out during the day and 2) Leave the tent and equipment whilst we go out?

Never heard of anyone losing anything all the times I attended Dalby, or anywhere else for that matter.

I believe for the most part, that trust and honesty prevails at these gatherings, so I wouldn't worry about anyone stealing your stuff.

Our group never had any qualms about leaving our scopes in situ. whilst taking off to Scarborough or Whitby for the day.

Hi Dom.

The site is never left unoccupied over the weekend so it is completely safe leaving telescopes setup and your tents / equipment too.

And your question about is it any good, I would certainly have to answer yes as an organiser.  This year will be our 15th annual camp and many attendees return year upon year.  Rocket competition, quiz, guest speakers and hog roast all add to a busy weekend and of course the clear skies (which I wish I could promise).

Only ever managed to attend one of the Dalby events a few years back (always seems to coincide with family holiday) but quite a safe site to leave things and plenty to do in the day time. Great place for kids to.

Archived