Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn

Tried my new Celestron 130EQ last night but barely got to point it at Jupiter before the clouds came in. But tonight was clear, albeit a little foggy.

So I pointed at Jupiter again and could see a nice disc with 3 of the moons. Not much detail, but I think I caught a glimps of the bands.

Then I had a look at the moon and the clarity was great, but I will have to get a filter to tone the brightness down a little. While on that subject, the OTA has a cap, which has a smaller cap about 2 inches in diameter. Is this there to reduce the light coming in? I tried it so the effective tube diameter was only 2" and the moon still looked good.

I then pointed it to Saturn and was blown away. I could clearly see the ring and the gap between it and Saturn with the 2x barlow and 13mm plossl. Again, no fine detail but it was definitely a highlight. I also saw what I think was Titan. It appeared to be on the same plane as the rings. I wasn't even aware I would be able to see any of Saturn's moons!

Anyway, it was an awesome first look and cant wait to get out again :) Now I just need to find some more targets...

Wayne

Glad you are enjoying your new acquisition. Give your eye time to lock into the detail on Jupiter. Believe it or not it does take some practice to eke out the detail. Try giving the Great Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules a try. It's a real 'wow' moment when you first see it.

Good luck and clear skies!

Archived