NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which pixel size is optimal for my setup

mcmalloy

Hello everyone! 

I've been trying to get into AP since november, and i have been using the Canon EOS 700D as my imaging camera up until now.

However I have been contemplating whether or not the next step for me is to get a monochrome CCD camera.

I've noticed one thing, and this is something i assume we can all agree on; they aren't cheap cameras! For someone like me who lacks expertise, I find it difficult to commit to such an expensive camera without exactly knowing what i'm getting myself into. I would prefer to have a regret-free purchase! I read somewhere that the pixel size on the sensor matters greatly depending on the focal length of the OTA.

So i've got two telescopes that I try and use for AP , one is a 71mm aperture Teleskop-Service 347mm focal length f/5 flatfield APO refractor. The second telescope is the Orion F/3.9 Newtonian astrograph.

Currently i'm most into taking wide-field AP images, meaning that the primary focal length i will be imaging at will be 347mm. Which mono CCD's would you recommend for this focal length? Currently i have no maximum budget, but I would like to keep things simple.

I would love to hear your suggestions! 

Mark Malloy

The canon 700d is actually a perfect match for the 71mm refractor (the focal length and f ratio are in camera lens teritory) but a mono ccd would allow you to get into narrowband imaging.

Alan

Archived