Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

80mm F/5 refractor

Maged

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 80mm F/5 refractor instead of my 4" F/8 scope in order to start astrophotography of DSOs.

I wanted advice on weather the 80mm will be good for astrophotography considering the f/5? or 80mm is too small for light gathering?

thanks,

Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a 80mm F/5 refractor instead of my 4" F/8 scope in order to start astrophotography of DSOs.
I wanted advice on weather the 80mm will be good for astrophotography considering the f/5? or 80mm is too small for light gathering?
thanks,

If by the 80mm F5 you mean an Achromatic scope then for imaging it is a waste of time. I won't go into the details as to why. For imaging you'd need at least an ED scope,  an 80mm F5 Apo will cost you a quite a bit of money, an F6 or F7 ED is a lot more affordable. If your budget does not stretch to those scopes another option is a 130PDS which is a native F5 but does need tweaking to get the best out of it.

A.G

If by the 80mm F5 you mean an Achromatic scope then for imaging it is a waste of time. I won't go into the details as to why. For imaging you'd need at least an ED scope,  an 80mm F5 Apo will cost you a quite a bit of money, an F6 or F7 ED is a lot more affordable. If your budget does not stretch to those scopes another option is a 130PDS which is a native F5 but does need tweaking to get the best out of it.

A.G

Also to note that though the cheaper scopes are F6/7 at their native FL you can always get a reducer which will bring them closer to F/5. So if you cant afford a triplet then you will want a slower doublet. But as other have said you do not want to image with an achro.

Archived