NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bit of a long shot

lardy

Hi All,

Can I ask if there is a site were I can download the raw data for a picture, Darks, Lights, subs and the finished picture?

After many years (46) of visual astronomy  I always planned to go into retirement dabbling with AP, over the years I have slowly built up some equipment to allow this, nothing special ... My Atik Titan will suffice for the moment as the CCD camera, guided using an Orion starshoot and set up on my TMB.

Had a play several weeks ago weather permitting and managed to get one 10 min shot of the Sombrero after 2 evenings of learning to guide / Polar align using PHD2.

Here lies my problem ... Weather! While twiddling my thumbs waiting for another clear evening I thought it might be beneficial to have some data and the finished picture as a comparison so I can practise stacking and production, look at the results in comparison then do it all again using darks, then use lights .. kind of a learning curve on these cloudy evening.

Bit of a long shot i know but many thanks for reading

post-19425-0-82669300-1432036251.jpg

Hi Pavle,

That would be great ... I don't know how much data is involved but I will PM you my Email address. the finished picture is something I can refer back to and try and emulate, also I can will be able to see the effect of using lights and darks. I do have a filter wheel with LRGB filters but feel this might be a "step to far" for myself  at this time and I think another camera might be required.

Great picture and many thanks for your help.

Hi Helen,

Many thanks for that link, I shall have a deeper mooch of the site later, I think I'm going to need a finished picture to aim for rather than just data, I was over the moon with my effort, the stars look round but I kinda think there is a bit more to this dark art than snapping away lol. 

The problem is that if you want the real full experience of crafting an image from scratch you are going to need an almighty number of large files. Consider an HaLRGB nebula image. It might be like this;

Darks for 15 min subs,        20 files.

Darks for 30 min subs,        20 

Bias  (for calibrating flats)   50

Flats 20 per filter                100

Lights 10 per filter               50

That makes 240 files which, from my camera, weigh in at 21 meg each. The total is just over 500 meg. This is not Dropbox territopry!

It all gets more reasonable if you download calibrated stacks to play with, so just the masters in LRGB and Ha. But is that what you fancy? If it is then I can help you by letting you have such files. 

Olly

Thank you for that kind offer Olly, the first link that Zakalwe posted has some data from a DSLR camera ... 3rd set of data (1 Nebula,1 cluster and 1 Globular on its way) downloading at the moment at 1.2 Gb per set.

In the near future I will be looking for a CCD camera and putting that filter wheel to good use so learning to use so some LRGB data would be great but I'm kinda worried about the term "Full experience" does this involve beating my head against a brick wall with frustration? or is this the term for "Gotcha" another one the hook and sliding down the dark path?

If the Data can be emailed in bite size chunks I can send you my email address via a PM and thank you again for the kind offer :grin:  

Archived