Need some electrical advice for my roll off roof

Corpze

Hi, i have manage to do all my wiring without any problem, but today, i really got myself in deep water.

My roof on my shed is driven by a 230VDC winch

This winch has a handheld control with a emergency stop and a rocker switch for up and down.

It also has limit switches on either side to shut the motor off. 

Now comes the tricky part, the electrical wiring diagram isn't that good. I have color coded it so it will be easier to read though.

I wanna trig the motor with relays (so i can roll the roof off remotely) BUT, i also wanna keep the hand control fully functional.

In my mind, this is how i wanna connect it all.

post-28724-0-99853600-1431756002_thumb.j

So, if I wanna press the "up" button, i will hook up cable no. 7 to A1, cable no 0 to B1 and cable 3 to A2 and cable 2 to B2. is that right?

if so, "down" should be the same for cable 7 and 0 (7 to A1 and 0 to B1 on relay no2) and in that case, cable 6 to A2 and cable no 4 to B2.

What do you think?

Regards /D

Hi,

I think I would suggest getting a local electrician in to have a look at this as there are several things in your post which do not make sense.

Firstly is it really 230V DC and not AC?

DC at that voltage is very dangerous and I am not sure how you will be getting DC as your wiring diagram doesn't show a rectifier.

Your picture shows a 3 phase solid state relay, but your wiring diagram is single phase. Again these type of solid state relays are only designed for AC.

I don't know what the rules are in Sweeden, but here in the UK your are not allowed to do this type of work unless you are qualified.

Sorry to be so negative, but you can't mess around with these type of things, electrocution and risk of an accident is a real possibility.

Robin

Correct with two seperate relays.

It's not DC, must be typo, as the motor is an AC permanant capacitor type.

The three phase relay just has three switched paths so should be ok as long as the voltage rating is ok.

As far as I know there is nothing stopping anyone doing this type of thing in there own property.

I can't say I'm happy that you are working with mains circuits when you clearly don't have the knowledge or experience with high voltage circuitry.  I very much agree with Robin on getting an experienced person to look at this on the job.  Qualifications are not a legal requirement in the UK but safety should be your highest priority.  I do not recommend anyone working on mains wiring unless they have the knowledge and experience to be completely safe.  One mistake and you could be dead!  I AM SERIOUS.

Could I ask why you are using a mains motor for your roof?  Is this motor well sealed and specified for use in a damp environment?  Capacitor phase shift induction motors are not really suited to this application.  Solid state controllers can be a problem with this type of load due to the phase shift between voltage and current.  It is not as simple as you envisage.  My recommendation would be to use a low voltage DC motor such as a garage door opener.  Solid state controllers for these voltages and currents are available and this makes automation much easier and more reliable.

One thing to note here, do you know for sure the mount is parked before the automated roof closes?

I closed my manual ROR roof but left on the power to the mount, the mount tracked and the Scope was very nearly damaged as it swung round and got close to the ROR roof.

Personally I would use a low voltage motor.  There are controllers that detect an increase in current, (to stop the motor if it encounters an obstruction) but I do not what is the correct name for them.

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

Yes, the H Bridge DC motor drivers I plan to use have this feature.  But you do need some sort of sensor to be sure the mount is parked before closing the roof.  There is an enormous difference in being there when things happen compared with remote/automatic operation.

Had another look at the relay wiring and I think it's wrong :(  I presume the rocker switch is spring loaded and centre off - in which case the capacitor is not connected by the relays.

Thanks for your reply, first, yes its a typo, off course i mean AC, second, i have just consulted a electrician and he said that i can connect the way i think, but add a extra fuse.

I might try to hook this up and give it a shot

The park sensor will probably be a electrophoto switch like the one in stores.

I can't say I'm happy that you are working with mains circuits when you clearly don't have the knowledge or experience with high voltage circuitry.  I very much agree with Robin on getting an experienced person to look at this on the job.  Qualifications are not a legal requirement in the UK but safety should be your highest priority.  I do not recommend anyone working on mains wiring unless they have the knowledge and experience to be completely safe.  One mistake and you could be dead!  I AM SERIOUS.

New rules were brough in a few years ago which effectively outlaws people working on the fixed electrical wiring in their own homes unless they have a qualification. It may have changed in 2005 when Part P came into UK law. Here is a brief bit of what it says

'All electrical installation work in a home, garden, conservatory or outbuilding must meet the Building Regulations.

Apart from some types of minor work, all electrical work must either be reported to the local-authority building-control, or be carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved scheme providers.'

Wiring an obs, probably wouldn't come under minor works. About the only thing you can do now is put a plug on a portable appliance and as they all come sealed on you are lucky if you can do that now.

Robin

Sounds like the same rules as in Sweden, but id you "know" what you are doing, than its ok... But i dont wanna connect theese kind of wiring without at least consult an authorized electrician.

As for the rocker switch Gina, it is spring loaded and center off, but as i am thinking, the capacitor is connected to the relay on port B1 on both relays

/D

• 3 weeks later...

I have just connected the relays and the handcontrol works like it should, but when i activate either one of the relays, the motor doesnt quite run, it makes a humming sound.

I am wondering if the motor is getting enough power? I have connected just as the schematic in my first post indicates.

/Daniel

Archived