Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ-6 Pro and GPS Module

Folks

Might seem like a silly question but those of you using the GPS mouse with your EQ-6's where do you mount the GPS Mouse/Module on the

mount?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Regards

John

I haven't a clue, but there is an EQ6 Yahoo Group of which I'm a member so I looked there.

One of the members has posted the instructions temporarily at this address http://thadlabs.com/FILES/SynScan_GPS_Instruction_Rev_B_101906.pdf

so grab it quick.

It appears that the GPS module ships with a CD that contains the necessary software and the instructions.

Mike

Hello John,

The Gps unit is connected to the hand controller.

If you are using a computer to control the mount, you connect the gps first and after the allignment you disconnect the Gps and connect the computer cable. It is not really trouble and is very convenient. The only problem that I came across is that sometimes you have to wait until a signal for the gps is available from the satelite.

George

George

Thanks for the response. I just use the mount on its own without a computer. You're quite right the unit plugs into the spare socket on the handset. The issue is physically where best to locate the module. Currently it hangs on the tripod spreader. I just wondered from others is there a better place to attachet it?

Regards

John

John,

You can fix it with Velcro to the mount if you want.

I have choose not to mount mine permanent for 2 reasons:

1. The cable work like an antenna for the receiver. When I first connect it I move the gps in a position that the whole cable is extended. This way you have better signal. After the gps gets all the data, I just disconnect it and put it in the house.

2. I use the mount for astrophotography. The last thing you want is one more cable hanging from the mount.

George

George

Thanks again. I was working on the principle i needed to keep it connected. Clearly I don't, so I will pack away once I've got it all set up

Thanks again for you assistance on this one. The manual as you will have seen says nothing other than initial set up.

Cheers and clear skies

John

Hi Orion

I agree that would be useful. I had such a device for my LX200, it was called a scope sleeper. Be good if one of those gadget types out there could produce such device?

I am in essence using the GPS module to replicate that function

Clear skies

John

Archived