NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pixinsight DBE with just five markers.

I found this interesting. A guest sent me some linear Iris RGB data to play with. I always start with DBE and had my usual shock when the image, taken in LP, was bright orange! I'm not used to that. After an initial panic I found one point in each corner and one near the middle which were genuine background sky, not part of the copious dust clouds almost filling the image. I hit the Apply button and out came a perfectly flattened and colour balanced Iris. The underlying data was first class.

So the moral is, You don't need lots of background markers. Exactly as Harry says on his tutorials.  :icon_salut:

Olly

I always start with DBE and had my usual shock when the image, taken in LP, was bright orange! I'm not used to that.

Welcome to our world :smile: Orange images are quite the norm for the moisture laden, light polluted UK skies.

The sky is normally quite flat gradient. 3 gives you a 2D plane to work by thus giving you a gradient. For wide field (300mm) pictures then this approach is less accurate as you start seeing the shape of the light pollution of a city in the distance for example. In that case you want to model that shape - so one in the centre and a series of circle of points around it is your best way of approaching that.

Welcome to our world :smile: Orange images are quite the norm for the moisture laden, light polluted UK skies.

Not quite as Starwars led you to believe.. Dark isn't bad lol.

Archived