Blue Astro "Stick Station" weather station

Corpze

Hi folks

I took the plunge to acquire a new kind of compact, nifty little thing called Stickstation from a new Astro-gadget-producer named Blue Astro
It is, for short, a weather station in the size of a USB memory.
It is not a complete weather station that you may think of, but a smart little gadget that calculates and produces data to correct the atmospheric refraction.
post-28724-0-53320400-1431186626.jpg
post-28724-0-10407300-1431186628.jpg
I have been using this now for a while and must say that it is just as easy to use, as it is small. Just install the program, insert the Stickstation, and thats it. The program finds the right com-port in just a couple of seconds and starts logging data. 
No more hazzle with searching the right com port, try to connect, unplug, insert again… you know the drill if you have a couple of USB gadgets to run.
The data the Stickstation record is pressure, temperature and humidity, from these values it also displays what temperature the dew-point is. 
The graph can be shown in 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 or 48 hours intervalls 
post-28724-0-08852400-1431186695.jpg
The new version of stickstation has color coded graph labels, this makes it easier to read the graph.
The quality of the Stickstation is good, sits firmly in the port and it has a transparent case that allows you to see the electronics and status LED’s
post-28724-0-65790200-1431186629.jpg
So, what now - the data is pouring in from it, what to do with it?
The program produces several* text-files in various formats that allows you to setup CCD Autopilot, ACP or Sequence generator pro and let that correct for the atmospheric refraction, let’s face it, all of us doesn’t live in the Atacama dessert ;)
*To date, it produces a sql-database with 10 sec update interval, fully supported via Per Frejvalls ASCOM driver for 10Micron mounts. It can also generate boltwood files that CCD Auto pilot can handle.
Blue Astro is working on adding support for more software packages and other mounts as well.
The Stickstation works with Windows (i run it on Win7 64bit)
​I would recommend this product for those who just want to log data when they are photographing, but if you have some of the above mentioned programs and want more inputs to help you further in your photography, this is one neat treat for a nice price!
/ Daniel Sundström, Sweden

is this just for 10micron mounts?

No, other "automation" programs can read the data and do whatever you want to do with the data.

For instance, with the boltwood format, any program that can read boltwood, can handle the data from the Stick Station.

But if you do have a 10Micron, this is a plug-and-play for correction data (if you use your mount with Frejvalls ascom driver)

However, according to Blue Astro, more software packages and mount types will be supported in the future.

/Daniel

I have one of these also and it has worked flawlessly so far.  I was looking at a Davis weather station so that it could automatically enter pressure and temperature into the mount for refraction calculation but baulked at the cost.  Stickstation delivers exactly the info i need with a slick software package and a tiny form factor at  a very reasonable cost.  Congrats to Blue Astro..........

Nick 

Yea, i am impressed so far, it keeps on running, not a single hick-up in three weeks now.

I have closed my observatory for my first summer, gonna install the automated roof control system, paint the inside of the observatory (the humidity in Sweden in Oct/Nov is killing the wood)

After the refurbish, i will install the Stick Station at the pier, where my USB-hub is located, seems to be the best place for it :) 

I'm having one of these, and I must say, it's the first astro-gadget I own that simply works flawlessly right from the start. You don't even have to select the com-port, the software automatically detects if the stick is present within seconds(in my case, less than a second). Ridiculously simple to use, accurate high-res data and graphs, modern "post-Win95 design" software with stylish and functional user interface.

The file-outputs should work perfectly with automation-software such as CCD Autopilot, ACP and Sequence Generator Pro, but I also imagine this would be a really handy tool for "non-automated" people who's serious about their imaging. I find it really useful to be able to see how the conditions have changed during a night of imaing (while I'm asleep of course), especially the humidity and temperature which you can compare with eventual dewed subframes, to learn when it's time to crank up the dewheaters/fans.

And as a 10 Micron owner, the StickStation gives me the ability to automatically and continuously update the in-mount handling for atmospheric refraction between every single sub, sending the mount all the fresh weather-data it needs to keep the pointing & unguided tracking spot on.

Highly recommended!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Tonk, The time will tell, all i can say right now is that the Per's wonderful mind-set regarding astro-gear was a one of a kind. 

I met Per a couple of times and we discussed ideas, the family has to have their greiefing period off course, but maybe, the work will go on. 

/Daniel

• 1 month later...

A guy called Martin on the 10Micron forum has developed a version of Stickstation. He fully acknowledges Per's product as the inspiration for his own.

Having bought the box, it does seem to work and feed into Per's ascom programme. Have a look at  http://www.astromi.ch   there isn't a great deal of detail on the website but if it does all that Stickstation could do then it may save a wait 

Archived