NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars for stargazing!

Hi all!

I've been a curios stargazer most of my life!  My earliest memory is of my grandfather attempting to show me the moons of Jupiter through his binoculars when I was a kid, I'm 33 now and I'm keen to get a decent pair of binoculars that won't break the bank.  I've got an old pair of 10x50's that I've been using on and off to stargaze when the urge took me, but they're just a cheapo brand I got from Argos.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations, warnings, and links if you can, keen to make a purchase very soon!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Unless you go for what are termed astronomical binoculars your 10x50's will do what you need.

Even if you go for astronomical binoculars - typically 15x70 - they will show not a great deal more.

You will see the moons of Jupiter better, but not the banding of Jupiter and not the rings of Saturn.

For those you need greater magnification, up aronf the 40x and 50x as a minimum and for Saturn 100x.

Binoculars do not generally deliver that.

For 15x70's you need a tripod to keep them reasonably steady.

The problem is people speak of binoculars or scope as if they do the same, my opinion is they do not do the same so bigger binoculars does not mean a scope or what a scope delivers.

My way of putting it is:

Binoculars allow you to look around, a scope allows you to look at.

So does it have to be binoculars or would a scope actually be more what you want?

Unless you go for what are termed astronomical binoculars your 10x50's will do what you need.

Even if you go for astronomical binoculars - typically 15x70 - they will show not a great deal more.

You will see the moons of Jupiter better, but not the banding of Jupiter and not the rings of Saturn.

For those you need greater magnification, up aronf the 40x and 50x as a minimum and for Saturn 100x.

Binoculars do not generally deliver that.

For 15x70's you need a tripod to keep them reasonably steady.

The problem is people speak of binoculars or scope as if they do the same, my opinion is they do not do the same so bigger binoculars does not mean a scope or what a scope delivers.

My way of putting it is:

Binoculars allow you to look around, a scope allows you to look at.

So does it have to be binoculars or would a scope actually be more what you want?

I would love a telescope further down the line to be quite honest.  That being said I don't really have to storage, or a garden space (i live in a flat) to set up a telescope in peace.  My thinking was that binos are a good way to observe the sky and learn about it before blowing wads of cash on a very expensive piece of equipment! 

Hi Steve,

Binos are a great place to start. Stick with your 10*50's until you want to move on. The issue always is what to look at and where are the objects. A couple of books to buy are 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' . Also download a planetarium program plenty out there but try Stellarium its great and free!. to be found here ;-- http://www.stellarium.org/

Then you can make a considered opinion as to whether you want to buy a new pair. 10 or 12 * 50's are at the max end of holding before shaking!.. If you have a local astro group I would go to one of their meets and see what others have.

A pair of 10x50 bins are great for observing and learning your way around the night sky. They wont give great views of the planets (not enough magnification). A step up from 10x50 would be

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-binoculars/celestron-cavalry-15x70.html

(formerly known as Celestron Skymasters) and a popular choice. Even those wont deliver much detail on planets. I think to get any kind of good planet views with bins you may need to buy 25x100 bins and they aint cheap.

What kind of budget do you have to spend because you may be able to buy both a scope and bins. 

Do you drive?. Can you get out of your flat to observe with a scope from a dark sky location?

A small refractor like a 80mm or 100mm Skywatcher Startravel would cost no more or take up more space than a more powerful binocular as you would have to use a tripod anyway. The telescope would introduce you to the magnified wonders of the Moon and planets as well as much enhancement of the wide field views you have enjoyed so far. Your existing binocular would cover casual use and compliment the telescope.  :smiley:

Thanks for the replies folks!

@damnut

My old pair of 10 x 50's are a bit broken to be honest, they were also very very cheap so they weren't great in the first place.  I will check out those books as I was also looking for recommended reading material.  Also, I already have Stellarium, it's awesome :)

@LukeSkywatcher

I can drive so getting out and about won't pose any problems.  My main concern about getting a scope is the complexity, and the sheer variety of them is off putting at this point so that's why I was drawn to binos.  I'm aware that I wouldn't get to see planet detail, I'd be more than happy just observing Jupiters moons to be fair!  Though I struggled to see them in my 10x50's

@Peter Drew

I'll take a look at those scopes and see!  What planets can you typically make out with that size of refractor?

When I was in a similar position several years ago, I bought a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70 binos, and to tell the honest truth, I think it was a mistake - for me at least. While I can see Jupiter (and moons) clearly, the planet still doesn't resolve as anything more that a small blob. No bands or detail. What's worse, everything shakes way too much, and I never found a tripod usable without contorting my neck in bizarre positions.

So now I bought a Nexstar 6" and while it another order of magnitude in cost compared to the binos, it's actually usable and enjoyable. The mount is rock steady, and even with the stock 25mm eyepiece I can see cloud bands on Jupiter and the rings of Saturn.

Others may have different views, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd have bought something like a 100mm mm reflector or Cassegrain.

Steven.  You could see all the current solar system planets with either telescope. However, just Mars, Jupiter and Saturn would be the only ones that would show detail. The phases of Mercury and Venus is the limit for these. The Moon would be the most rewarding object and the Sun with an appropriate safety filter would nicely fill your days.  :smiley:

The fact that you drive and can get away from the flat you live in........................

All i can say is maybe invest in a new set of 10x50 bins (most of us always have them by our side), and get yourself a scope. What kind of scope you want/need is up for debate. 

The fact that you drive and can get away from the flat you live in........................

All i can say is maybe invest in a new set of 10x50 bins (most of us always have them by our side), and get yourself a scope. What kind of scope you want/need is up for debate. 

I noticed you have the Celestron 70mm travel scope!  Would you recommend this as an appetizer?  It's very inexpensive and I think it'd be better than binos :)

I noticed you have the Celestron 70mm travel scope!  Would you recommend this as an appetizer?  It's very inexpensive and I think it'd be better than binos :)

Its a great little scope. Its very capable of doing what it is designed to do (wide field views). The down fall of the scope is the tripod it comes with. Chuck it in the bin and invest in a better tripod (although the scope is so cheap..........do you really want to spend more cash on a tripod then the scope is worth).

The travel scope 70 gives great views of the moon and constellations and star fields, but its not great for planets. It doesnt claim to be great on planets, but an upgrade on the tripod will allow you to observe planets a bit better.

I have to say though that Heritage 130P  is a better option over the travel scope 70. 

Its a great little scope. Its very capable of doing what it is designed to do (wide field views). The down fall of the scope is the tripod it comes with. Chuck it in the bin and invest in a better tripod (although the scope is so cheap..........do you really want to spend more cash on a tripod then the scope is worth).

The travel scope 70 gives great views of the moon and constellations and star fields, but its not great for planets. It doesnt claim to be great on planets, but an upgrade on the tripod will allow you to observe planets a bit better.

Just bought one!  A steal a 50 quid.  I'm also a bit of a weekend photographer so I already have a much better tripod :)  

Can't wait to give the little things a spin now !

Archived