A push in the right direction

O.k guys and gals a little input is required, I've almost made up my mind on my next e'p purchase but would like some notes from anyone with first hand use of the list to come.

I have a gap to fill around the 19/20mm mark and will barlow fill nicely as an 8mm. I want it in 1.25" format for filter use and I'm aware that the max afov in this respect is 68°-72°. After thinking long and hard, here is the list of my choices:-

1:Explore Scientific maxvision 20mm

2:Explore Scientific Ar' 20mm

3:William Optics SWAN 20mm

4:Celestron Ultima Duo 21mm

5:Baader Hyperion 21mm

And if I'm a good boy...

6:Televue Panoptic 19mm

I understand the importance of performance/price ratio so maybe the Panoptic won't get to see the inside of my case.

Oh and yes there is the Pentax xw 20mm but that's not going in my list!

I've almost decided on the maxvision but want to get some pointers before I open the wallet.

The Panoptic, ES and Maxvision will be sharper towards the edges of the field of view in your F/5.9 scope than the SWAN, or Hyperion will be. The Ultima Duo may well be the same as the Hyperion but I've not tried one as yet.

Agree with John.

Element wise 1 and 2 are the same, it could be said that coating may be different then as they were made in the factory that may be the same, in truth there will not be much in it if anything. Good eyepiece with a little astigmatism toward the edges, I had the Meade 20mm SWA for 3 years.

The 19mm will be better at the edges but is costs more and should be. I don't think your scope will be that hard on eyepieces and I would have thought the ExSc of Maxvision would suffice for your needs.

Alan.

Maxvison 20mm all the way for value. Very colour neutral and searingly sharp. It's a no-brainer for the price, unless you need to wear glasses and even then, it's ER isn't that bad.

Russell

I guess the decision is quite unanimous, and taken from three very respected members/moderators, your input I

take in high regard. I know the Panoptic would serve me well in performance and takes the number 1 spot in that respect, but when value for money is concerned, and a guy with a tight budget needs that good cost/performance ratio, the maxvision is probably the "no brainer".

I forgot that I was wanting a 9x50 RACI as my next purchase and with limited funds I probably will have to wait to get the maxvision as I can't stretch for both, comfort is an important factor in observations even if it's just for finding. But if the other half was willing to cover the shortfall for a Panoptic then maybe I could, if I'm lucky, get both.

Archived