Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New ultra-portable tripod

Piero

Unfortunately in the current place where I live, I don't have a garden or fields reachable by walk. The Manfrotto tripod that I have bought and used so far is really good and holds the TV60 very well, but is too long and heavy for being carried by bike. 

In the past I was thinking to add a more portable tripod mainly for air plane so that I could take the TV60 to the Alps in Italy, but also to other places. Being forced to go to fields by bike, I decided to invest in this additional tripod now. 

I found the Manfrotto compact advanced aluminium tripod a good solution for my needs. Specs are: Load Capacity: 6.6 lb, Max Height: 65", Min Height: 17.5", Folded Length: 17.3". It comes with padded bag and plate. Although I have not tried in the field yet, it seems quite sturdy even when the legs are fully extended. It is light but quite solid. The mount is made of hard plastic with metal supports. It has a 3-way pan/tilt head. Although only one is required in astronomy, these lock the TV60 on the mount very effectively, even when this points near the zenith. The plate attaches to the mount head without living 'gaps' which sometimes you can have in some bad tripods. 

I am looking forward to using it! There are a few places in the countryside nearby which I believe have low light pollution. This summer I am taking it to the old town of my grandparents in the Alps and I believe it will couple the TV60 well!  :rolleyes:

1) Manfrotto compact advanced aluminum video tripod + TV60:

post-36931-0-00541000-1430778388_thumb.j

post-36931-0-52275400-1430778395_thumb.j

post-36931-0-07288500-1430778420_thumb.j

2) Manfrotto MVH500AH video head + 755XBK tripod + TV60:

post-36931-0-39636600-1430778402_thumb.j

post-36931-0-23861500-1430778410_thumb.j

p.s. no complains about the MVH500AH+755XBK. It is excellent and I am keeping it anyway for the next year when hopefully I find a house with garden!  :smiley:

Edited by pdp10

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I tried this light tripod on a field. The whole observation was done by extending three leg sections (this tripod has 4 leg sections) and the central pole.

Pros: 

- Light and compact (1.4kg, 44cm when legs fully collapsed)  :smiley:

- For its weight, it holds the telescope sufficiently  :smiley:

- Suitable with short small tubes for travelling and air plane  :cool:

- Once extended, legs are blocked properly.  :smiley:

Cons: 

- Not stable above 100x if it is moderately windy (not that I expect this to be stable under windy condition!)  :huh:

- One handle regulates both azimuth and altitude. This can be a bit frustrating when a target is followed. There is a point in the regulation of this handle in which altitude is locked but not azimuth. However this setting needs some experience to find it and if you don't lock the mount head properly, the tube can fall due to its weight.  :shocked:

Verdict: 

This tripod can be a light compact solution for short light tubes (such as TV60, Tak60) for travelling as long as some care is taken of course. I would not use it on a regular basis, because I prefer something more solid. 

I do not regret buying it as I wanted to buy a tripod for travelling anyway. I simply thought that it was a bit easier to use the mount head. Maybe it is possible to replace the current mount head with a mini giro mount head + 1kg counterweight. However, I am not investing more money on this. Fortunately, I found out that the sky in the field 2 miles away from my house is sufficiently dark. No milky way visible, but it is okay for routine observation. I can cover this distance by cycling with my solid tripod without too much effort, and use this light tripod when travelling by train or plane.

For something that is carry-on/aircraft friendly, the TV-60 and a 'small' Manfrotto tripod & head ticks all the boxes.

During August 1999, I managed to persuade LGW check-in staff to allow me to carry my TV Ranger case on-board, whilst the tripod & head were packed in the suitcase and in the hold.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Yes Manfrotto tripods are excellent quality.

I use a Manfrotto compact action http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/product/24329.1108711.58969.1094355.0/MKCOMPACTACN-BK/_/Compact_Action_Black that holds my 70mm frac well and is stable at 135x, it is hard to aim the thing at that magnification though.

The clever trick for this one is that if you set it to video mode the ball head can be rotated 90 degrees to the side providing a balance point much like you would have on an alt az mount.

The mount is then stable even if not locked.

If I use my Barlow it shifts the focus point out so I need to add a small weight to the front of the scope to regain balance but without the Barlow the scope is already balanced :)

I have even done some solar imaging with this setup :D

I did find that the lock was a bit course, I scribbled all over the ball head with a 2B pencil and that gave just the right amount of friction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen!

I forgot to say that when it is used with the 'reversed' mount head and at altitude of about 60-70 degrees like in the first photo, the telescope is balanced. I lock it anyway, because the idea that the telescope could shift on one side makes me paranoid, but the good thing is that it is relatively easy to move at that height. 

• 6 years later...