Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Successfully modded my 1100D

Altais

Today I completed a full spectrum modification of my Canon EOS 1100D, and I thought I'd share with you how it went.

After I decided that I wanted my camera modified, I was very uncertain as to whether I should get it modded by someone who knew what they were doing, or do it myself. Since the former approach would be considerably more expensive (having to ship it abroad doesn't help), I eventually decided that I was willing to take the risk and do it myself.

I followed the instructions from Gary Honis' website, and it actually went quite well. No major problems along the way, only that I slipped the knife while trying to remove some glue around a screw, and made a small scratch in the main circuit board. The scratch wasn't deep enough to expose any of the copper, so it didn't do any damage. At first I tried to use a toothpick to disconnect and connect the ribbon cables, but I found that it was way too weak, so I used a small knitting pin instead. A set of tweezers was also very helpful.

Here is a picture of the whole shebang disassembled:

post-43721-0-56104700-1430515969_thumb.j

After reconnecting all the ribbon cables, I inserted the battery and memory card, and turned it on. Lights on, everything works! Big sigh of relief. Turned it back off, removed the battery and finished the assembling. Turned it back on, no response! Heart starts to race. Then I realized that I had forgot to reinsert the battery..

All in all, the modification was a success, and I haven't noticed any problems with the camera. It also looks like I was able to keep the filter and sensor more or less dust free. Since the replacement filter doesn't block any wavelengths of light, the full spectral response of the sensor can now be utilized. Here is a picture of the IR diode of a remote control taken with the modified camera:

post-43721-0-84007200-1430516121_thumb.j

I definitely don't regret doing the modification myself. It saved me a lot of money and earned me a lot of experience. In fact, being a person who has no previous experience with these sorts of things, I am now convinced that most people can pull this off if they are well prepared, careful and follow the instructions thoroughly. (Although there is always some risk involved when opening a camera and voiding the warranty.)

Now all I have to do is to wait for clear skies..

I did a 500d a month or so ago. It's a good feeling knowing you've done it yourself isn't it? Well done for making the commitment to ripping your camera apart :) Wasn't such an issue for me as I don't use canon cameras for anything else. My normal cameras are Mamiya/Phase One or Nikon for non important stuff.

Congratulations Altais !
I have recentley successfully modded a 350d, all went extremely well, and yes, there is a great sigh of relief when you power it back up isn't there !
On Thursday I bagged an 1100d of the bay for a ridiculous price (sold as autofocus not working !) it should arrive on Tuesday, so, you know what I'll be doing....
yes, time to get the tweezers and tiny screwdrivers out again.........................

Be great to see your first light with the new cam

Regards
Lee

I did a 500d a month or so ago. It's a good feeling knowing you've done it yourself isn't it? Well done for making the commitment to ripping your camera apart :) Wasn't such an issue for me as I don't use canon cameras for anything else. My normal cameras are Mamiya/Phase One or Nikon for non important stuff.

It's very satisfying indeed. I think I would have been pretty scared of opening the camera regardless of whether I had extra cameras for daytime use. But maybe that's just me.  :smiley:

Congratulations Altais !

I have recentley successfully modded a 350d, all went extremely well, and yes, there is a great sigh of relief when you power it back up isn't there !

On Thursday I bagged an 1100d of the bay for a ridiculous price (sold as autofocus not working !) it should arrive on Tuesday, so, you know what I'll be doing....

yes, time to get the tweezers and tiny screwdrivers out again.........................

Be great to see your first light with the new cam

Regards

Lee

Thanks Lee! A broken autofocus would probably be a dealbreaker for many ordinary photographers, but it's nice that astrophotographers don't have to worry about having a working autofocus. Best of luck with your modding!

I can now join the modded 1100d gang, successfully did it myself this afternoon, relatively easy compared to the 350d I did not long ago. Have to get back on the 'bay now to find the next victim............................
Lee

• 2 months later...

I modded my 1100D about 18 months ago but messed up in the process. :eek:  I inadvertently disconnected a ribbon that I just couldn't reconnect. :embarassed:  Thankfully, Canon repaired it for me for a £40 minimum charge.

Gutted for a while but had a go and camera works great with mod.

Archived