Outside storage for C925 and Skywatcher mount

Hi,

I have a C925 and a Skywatcher AZEQ6GT which I've never used because it's a heavy outfit to set up 40 yards away from my garage every time for just casual observing.  I'm looking at buying a timber garden storage shed about five feet high - 6 feet wide x 4feet  deep to keep the scope and  mount permanently set up so that I can just either carry it forward a few feet out of the shed or use a shed with an open front so that I can fit wheels to it and wheel it back like a timber observatory shed.

Do you think that something like this would work and are there any drawbacks from keeping this combination set up like this.  I'd appreciate any input.

Paul

Hi Paul:

I have a 9.25SCT and I built a shed (I think it's about 7"x7" or so).  It has a split hinged roof...generally I just flip down the south half of the roof. I leave the scope inside all year round...just a dust cover over in winter.

Seems to work ok.

Cheers

Roger

From painful experience just be sure to leave a good air gap below your shed floor. It is vitally important a good airflow exists. If you can accommodate it 6" would be ideal.

Thanks Roger, what height are your walls and how do you weatherproof the split between the two sides?  Do you have any photos?

All the best, Paul

Hi Paul:

I will post a few photos (as soon as my camera battery charges up)

Cheers

Roger

Hi again Paul:

I did not have to take photos after all...I retrieved these that were posted here quite a while back...shortly after I finished building it.

The left side of doorway is about 6' to roof from ground level.  A friend had given me the scrap corrugated tin...I would have had the corrugations running vertically but tin was not wide enough to do in one piece each...oh well.  Seems to work ok...there is about 7 or 8 inches of tin overlap on top half...to keep the water/snow out.  Since then I have arbor drilled three holes (side by side) about a foot from bottom on each side with screen mesh on the inside to keep the bugs out...seems to keep it dry inside also.  I seldom open the top half....mostly looking at and imaging the moon and planets.

Cheers :smiley:

Roger

post-2315-0-51562600-1430530439.jpg

post-2315-0-80415400-1430530468.jpg

post-2315-0-67711700-1430530489.jpg

post-2315-0-20358700-1430530523.jpg

post-2315-0-95847000-1430530547.jpg

post-2315-0-17170200-1430530569.jpg

post-2315-0-95875200-1430530595.jpg

Unless you build it yourself, the standard 6x4 garden shed is a bit of a light structured affair, however this can be improved by screwing 1/2" chip board to all inside surfaces with the inclusion of a PVC moisture sheet. This helps keep out the damp, creepy crawlies and provides some weight to the building to stop high winds and storms doing nasty things to it in times of exceptionally bad weather. You could also include a wired armoured cable feed from the garage to supply electrics :)

Archived