Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How tight should focuser tension screw be??

Hi all,

I have just set up my new WOZS66 with my new Atik 414ex, and because of the extra weight have had to tighten the tension screw on the focuser, how tight can this screw be, before it causes problems, as I have tightened it so the camera does not slip, but the actual focuser control does not seem any tighter?

And how does this tension screw work, what does it screw onto, my logic says just tighten it nice and tight and then whatever weight I put on the back, within reason of course, will be catered for, but I don't want to cause any damage.

Help please

AB

Hi AB.

Firm finger tight should be all that's needed, and shouldn't cause damage. Don't be tempted to use pliers or similar, you will probably mark the screw.

With the focusers that I've owned (rack & pinion and Crayford) I think that the tension screw pushed onto a plastic/nylon bar that in turn pressed onto the focus tube to increase friction. Don't know if yours is like that of course.

Many focusers have adjustment screws to sort them. If yours needs that, please don't try it without reading any instructions you may have or a search on the 'net or a post on here to find out what screw does what.

And as it's a new scope maybe contact the supplier first if you are not happy, before tinkering and possibly voiding any guarantee.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

I suspect that no one will be able to provide better advice than already given unless they actually own that scope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived