NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ-EQ5 and polar alignment

Snaxmuppet

The AZ-EQ5 mount does not come with a polar scope but there is a polar alignment process in the hand controller. But there is clearly something I am missing here... how does the software help you polar align? Isn't polar alignment a physical thing where you have to physically align the scope up with celestial north?

If anyone has one and would be kind enough to explain to me how the hand controller can help you physically align to celestial north I would really appreciate it... I have been searching on the web for hours and am getting nowhere :confused:

BTW I will be using the mount for photography so I need as good a polar alignment as I can get as I am not yet auto-guiding (that comes later!).

Many thanks in advance :)

EDIT:

OK... I have read and re-read the instructions for the Synscan controller and I think I have it now...

After doing a 2 or 3 star alignment I can then do a polar alignment process...

- the instructions then talk of "Adjust Altitude" during the polar alignment process - am I right in saying this means physically adjust the elevation using the latitude jack?
- they then talk of "Adjust azimuth" - am I right in saying that I then physically adjust the azimuth using the azimuth adjustment knobs?

If so then it does make sense but the instructions are all that clear IMO.

Yes, you have it now. The instructions are useless. There are threads on the topic here which are much more use friendly.

Why, out of interest, are you going for the azeq5 and not the 6? Else an heq5?

James

Thanks. I have the mount but not used it yet so perhaps it is just a case of trying it then... my mistake was reading the instructions first :eek:

Jambouk... I have gone for the AZ-EQ5 instead of the AZ-EQ6 solely on weight. The 5 is half the weight of the 6. It is going to be my portable mount so I wanted it to be more portable than the 6. I have a friend with the AZ-EQ6GT and I find it too heavy to make it portable for me. I know many people do use it as their portable mount, my friend does, but after trying to life it into and out of the car I decided that as I don't need the payload of the 6 so the 5 would be adequate. I could always change my mind and get a 6 later if I need the payload :)

I didn't go for the excellent HEQ5 because I wanted the AZ mode for quick alignment when visual observing.

Once I have moved house (hopefully this year) I will build an observatory in the garden and I will have a post mount so I will get something much more solid for that I am sure.

Thanks for your help :)

I imagine James has covered it well but a major tip from my experiences is to make sure you decide which side of the meridian you are concentrating on for your imaging. Once you have decided then I find the most accurate set up is obtained by running the two star alignment on the SAME side of the meridian as your imaging.  Then run the handset polar alignment routine.  After a maximum of three iterations of this process I always got a PA error <30".  I also found that an illuminated reticle eyepiece I was fortunate enough to get free helped immensely in this whole process.

Archived