NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mansfield Observatory

Smartbomb

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not built an obsy but I have built a couple of sheds with feather-edge cladding.

The boards have a tendency to cup so I found it better to nail through the lower thicker part which also goes through the thinner part of the board below.  That way each board is held top and bottom on each stud, reducing the tendency to cup.

I wasn't concerned about the visibility of the nails but keeping them "lined up" makes the job look neater.

Mike

Unfortunately there was a massive balls-up with the timber yard supplying the cladding so I didn't get my Red Cedar. I did however get a HUGE discount on their generic common or garden loglap. Turned from being probably the most expensive part of the build to the cheapest so far :grin:

The facing side as you can see is now clad and so is the back. Will hopefully be getting the other two sides done this weekend. I'll post pics as it goes.

Paul

• 8 months later...

Holy thread-revival, Batman!

Well, I did say it was going to be a slow build, but I admit even I didn't think it would take this long, lol.

To clarify, illness, unemployment and finances all conspired against me for over 7 months or so after my last post, so literally nothing got done on the obsy for quite a while. However, i can now report the Mansfield Observatory is back on track. Literally on track, the roof is on and slides on the tracks like they're made of KY jelly. Impressive really, bearing in mind the entire roof is over half a ton. Ive also started fitting out the interior. Haven't taken any photos yet but Im back up there tomorrow so will post some up after that.

Hopefully about another 3 or 4 full days work and I should be able to get up and running, fingers crossed.

Paul

Archived