Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark frames

Hi 

I hope this is not a silly question I have already got the light frames of M51 I use an Atik 383l and was going to get the dark frames later as I can set the temp and exp time as it was when taking the main images I am assuming I need to have the exact same size subframe and be on the same position on the sensor chip any easy way of making sure the dark subframe is in the correct part I am using artemis capture I have attached one of the images 300 sec exp SW Esprit 120 any help appreciated

post-36732-0-97787700-1429225438.jpg

Yes I am using the whole sensor just framing the object within the artemis software I have taken a set of darks without framing just leaving it as full screen when I attempt to register then in DSS it has a message that says the checked pictures are not compatible (width,height,number of colours,number of channels,only one master dark,offset and flat). any ideas what I am doing wrong

Hi 

I hope this is not a silly question I have already got the light frames of M51 I use an Atik 383l and was going to get the dark frames later as I can set the temp and exp time as it was when taking the main images I am assuming I need to have the exact same size subframe and be on the same position on the sensor chip any easy way of making sure the dark subframe is in the correct part I am using artemis capture I have attached one of the images 300 sec exp SW Esprit 120 any help appreciated

attachicon.gifm51 chc.jpg

If you were working @ -20C and lower @ 300s exposure   dark frames are not necessary. Just use about 100+ Bias  to calibrate with. I have not used darks with my 383 even @ 900s exposure.

A.G

There is no framing of darks. Once you have covered up the chip it doesn't know where it's looking! (It isn't looking anywhere, really...) Just take the same sub length at the same temp in the same bin mode and you are good to go. However, when making your darks do so using the metal screw on cap supplied with the camera. This is seriously light proof. A lens cap is not, not by a long way in some cases.

I partly agree with AG but I think the best solution of all is to use a master bias as a dark and add a bad pixel map to pull out the hot pixels. You need a software stacking programme which supports this. I like AstroArt 5.0. It explains how to make a bad pixel map. Dead easy.

Olly

Archived