NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrades for Mak 127 (diagonal and eyepiece)

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Do you actually thread these things in the dark?  I'd be afraid of dust getting into the eyepiece and of cross threading the threads.  I have enough trouble with barrel undercuts hanging up on compression rings in the dark that I wouldn't dare try threading and unthreading eyepieces in the dark.

Yes, i don't worry about that dust to much, you can always clean them, eyepieces are not that fragile as you think.

I do have a red light hanging over my eyepiece case and my headlight, so missthreading them is not an issue.

To be honest, i don't use them that much anymore because i own the hole Hyperion line by now.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That celestron 2 in diagonal screws on a threaded end common to SCT telescopes and I read that some maks also have them so I just wanna know if mine is the same. What you show in the picture that diagonal doesn't thread on but fits inside a tube with a compression ring and screw like usual diagonals

1 minute ago, DS24 said:

That celestron 2 in diagonal screws on a threaded end common to SCT telescopes and I read that some maks also have them so I just wanna know if mine is the same. What you show in the picture that diagonal doesn't thread on but fits inside a tube with a compression ring and screw like usual diagonals

Yes, the diagonal has a 2" barrel.

Just make sure you get the right visual back, mine is from TS optics, but to be sure measure the treads of your scope

On 13/02/2019 at 17:39, DS24 said:

What is a visual back for

The visual back is just a generic name to enable you to attach your accessories to the OTA so you can view through them, as catadiopric telescopes do not have drawtubes. It has a common size of approximately 2" x 24TPI which caters for 99% of amatuer SCT 'scopes. Therefore the adapter ring bridges the gap and you can utilise existing SCT accessories with a Mak. 

1 hour ago, DS24 said:

Yes, with that diagonal you don't need a visual back.  It screws directly onto the rear port of the Mak.  The reason we can't give you a definitive answer is because there is no Mak rear port thread standardization like there is with most larger SCTs.  There are two main standards.  The Meade ETX and the Synta.  Your ES Mak is neither, but it might have a rear port thread in common with one of the two.  If so, you can buy one of the two thread adapters mentioned earlier in this thread and make the diagonal work.  Since it is an f/15 Mak like the ETX series, it is most likely ETX threaded.

You might still have the problem that the mirror box of the diagonal might not clear the focus knob in certain orientations because it is so close to the rear port.  On my Orion (Synta) 127mm Mak, I use a 2" visual back to push the diagonal back about 2 inches from the rear plate of the scope and then use a standard push fit refractor style 2" diagonal.  Clearance is not an issue with that setup.  You can sort of see my 2" Mak setup in the following photos:

1630202746_DualScopeSetup-9.thumb.jpg.a1ed295bed7262491c9b6e849340a08b.jpg1527880715_DualScopeSetup-7.thumb.jpg.a0dfceb259bd3770baca0ab240b42283.jpg

Archived